Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing tops?

Default nursing tops?

I have a 5 week old and I'm wondering what nursing/non-nursing tops work best. I am 5'2, 120 pounds. Many nursing tanks I have tried are too big. I mainly just want some things that I can wear out in public so that nursing is more discreet. Thanks!

Default Re: nursing tops?

Do you want a shirt or a nursing tank you can wear under your shirt? I love my Bravado Essential Nursing Tank and have found nursing tanks to be more modest than a nursing shirt, which at least for me, exposes more breast skin than just wearing a shirt would.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Nursing top/tanks are hard to find where I live, and the few shops that carry them are super expensive. I, personally, have found that wearing a nursing bra and cami under any shirt I wear works out great. When LO needs to nurse, I can pull up the top shirt, pull down the cami and unfasten my bra. My tummy isn't exposed and there is barely any breast exposed at all. When LO is latched on, you can't see a thing. It's comfy and the bra/cami combo works with all my regular clothes.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*evolvingmama View Post
    wearing a nursing bra and cami under any shirt I wear works out great. When LO needs to nurse, I can pull up the top shirt, pull down the cami and unfasten my bra. My tummy isn't exposed and there is barely any breast exposed at all.
    Yes, I do the same thing! Wear a nursing bra, a stretchy cami/tank with a scoop or V neck, and a regular tee or sweater over. This allows for very discreet nursing (even more discreet than my "real" nursing tops, because you can drape the top shirt over your breast again once baby is latched).

I do have some "real" nursing tops. Nursing tanks are great basics. And then you can get nursing tops with various arrangements -- pull down necklines (not so discreet), an attached undertank with slits, wrap tops with inner panels, etc. If you have a store where you can try them on in person, that is best so you can experiment with how they work to see what you like best. If not, you can order online (gap.com and oldnavy.com maternity/nursing sections have good sale prices and free exchanges for different sizes).