Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Will I need to pump?

Default Will I need to pump?

As some of you know from my other posts, I will soon be visiting the USA for 3 months, and I will be working at a university.

Do I need to pack my breast-pump and bottles?

My daughter is 14 months old and still nurses frequently. I guess on average every hour during the day, but sometimes she'll do multiple mini-nurses every 15 minutes, or sometimes go for several hours without nursing. At night she sleeps about 11 hours, during which time she nurses maybe 4 to 8 times.

I initially had oversupply problems and block-fed to get rid of them. I now usually go with one breast per feeding, but if it's a short feeding and the breast still feels full I'll repeat that breast again next time. Only once in a blue moon will she feed off both breasts in a sitting. I still have overactive letdown with lots of spray, not sure if that is relevant.

I plan to work 8-10 h per day, trying to see baby at lunchtime for a nursing session, so she'd be ~4-5 h without nursing. We have done this a few times when she was 10 mo and my breasts felt very full, but it was ok.

My pump is just a manual pump and I actually find it is easier to just hand-express milk to relieve the pressure, and in the past I could get half a bottle by hand-expressing (not sure if that would be the case now though).

DD eats plenty of solids and loves to drink water from one of those cups with a straw, although we don't give her water every day so nearly all her liquids are currently from nursing. She won't take a bottle but will drink breastmilk out of a cup last time we tried.

After our stint in the US, she'll be 17 months old and I will be back to working at home with nursing on demand, so I want to keep my supply up.

What I'm wondering is, do I need the pump and bottles to keep my supply up and make sure that I don't get mastitis if I suddenly jump to two 5-hr stretches without nursing, or is hand expressing to relieve fullness going to be sufficient? What if I were to spend a whole 8 or 10 hours away from my daughter some days of the week?

Sorry such a long post! Thanks

Default Re: Will I need to pump?

You don't need to. And you don't need to worry either. I was home nursing on demand until 14months and then went back full time and there was no place to pump and I didn't have the lunchtime visits that you are going to have either. He ate solids and drank water while away from me and we continued to nurse on demand while together. After the year point your milk is well established and your body has been producing on demand long enough that your supply can be trusted. I was able to be gone 9-11hours a day 5days a week and not only nurse one demand when I saw him after work those days but also all day on the two days a week we were together. You'll be fine.

Way too lazy for formula

agree, you'll be fine, especially since you can hand express when necessary.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Hi, I just wanted to update on this in case others are in a similar situation. It did go very well with DH bringing DD to nurse at lunch every day in my office. In the first week though, there was a day when for some reason I went in to work late, and DH just didn't bother to bring her in. I was really focused on my work and didn't notice how full my breasts were. By the time I realized, I had a plug and a mild bit of fever that night. SO, just wanted to share that so if you are planning to go from nursing-on-demand all day to working full-time, pay attention to your boobs and don't let them get too full! Thanks again for the advice and reassurance on the forum.

Ok, I realize that this thread is from a month ago, but I'm going to have almost the same situation if I get a job I've applied for (and have an interview for tomorrow), and I've been sooo worried about pumping. I've been worried about my baby girl too, and she'll only be a year old on May 21st, but this makes me not so nervous about needing to pump. I think I still might pump once a day, in case I can't get to see her at lunch, but this is great! Thanks!
    Glad it worked out for you as well as it did.