Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: feeding frustrations-4 day old baby

Default feeding frustrations-4 day old baby

Hi all

I'm a first time mother and my baby was born Tuesday.

In the hospital, I had very little trouble getting her to latch on. My nipples are sore but I'm thinking it's because this is all new to me. Now that I'm home, she'll latch on for a minute or two and then let go. I've had to start pumping and using a bottle to feed her. She wants to eat every hour or two (my milk hasn't come in yet) and I'm having a hard time keeping up with her.

I'm still trying to breastfeed but she gets frustrated and angry quickly and it's difficult.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?

Default Re: feeding frustrations-4 day old baby

Your feeding her a bottle. So she is preferring the bottle flow which is easier. Put the bottle away. Let her get frustrated. Her survival instinct will be to eat. But NOT if she KNOWS that she will feed her an easier way. Regardless of HOW you feed her it's very normal for her to eat every hour or 2 around the clock. So take the baby to bed, stop pumping and let her eat. She will latch on and eat. And on day 4 she doesn't really need much. But if you let her get used to the bottle she very well could reject your breast entirely. You DON'T Want that. So breastfeed her. All day. So she forgets about the bottle.

Way too lazy for formula

If your milk hasn't come in there is nothing to keep up with. Babies who are eating colostrum need very little.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*supernana57 View Post
    Hi all

I'm a first time mother and my baby was born Tuesday.

In the hospital, I had very little trouble getting her to latch on. My nipples are sore but I'm thinking it's because this is all new to me. Now that I'm home, she'll latch on for a minute or two and then let go. I've had to start pumping and using a bottle to feed her. She wants to eat every hour or two (my milk hasn't come in yet) and I'm having a hard time keeping up with her.

I'm still trying to breastfeed but she gets frustrated and angry quickly and it's difficult.

Any ideas as to what I'm doing wrong?
    Congratulations on the new baby! Those first few days are hard, especially when you are a new mom and don't really know what to expect. So, I'm glad you came here to ask!

First--a couple of questions for you: what makes you think you can't "keep up?" Do you mean you think your supply isn't keeping up or that you are finding it exhausting to be nursing that often? Also, did someone tell you to pump and use a bottle, and if so, why?

Unless your doctor or an IBCLC has given you some reason you need to be concerned, I think it's really normal for a newborn to be nursing every 1-2 hours. And, at this stage each session can take quite a long time because they aren't very efficient, so it can feel like nearly continuous nursing, which can be exhausting. If the keeping up is about exhaustion, then I'd really suggest that you just plan to spend the next few weeks focused on LO and nursing and resting. Sleep when she is napping, even if it's just 20 minutes. Don't worry about dishes and laundry--seriously. Set yourself up on the couch, or your bed and make a little nursing station--a big water bottle, snacks, the phone, a book, the remote control, laptop, etc.

If you are worried about supply keeping up, then be reassured that the frequent nursing -- and even the fussiness -- do not indicate that you aren't producing enough. As mommal said, at this stage, if your milk hasn't come in, you are producing colostrum and only small amounts (which is all that is needed). She is probably fussy because she has to work and it's all new and that [I]is[I] frustrating. But she'll learn (and so will you!) and it will get easier. As djsmom said, the bottle probably isn't doing you any favors as she could be getting quite used to the ease of eating from a bottle and could develop a preference for that over the breast. Also, at this stage that frequent nursing is really important for stimulating your milk production and letting your body know it needs to make milk. Yes, pumping will do that too, but not nearly as well as baby.

It's really normal to feel confused, frustrated, worried and exhausted in the beginning (heck, even later on!) so do come and ask questions or check things out here.

Welcome to the forum!

When you say your milk "hasn't come in yet", what do you mean, exactly? Most moms see the onset of milk production within 2-5 days of birth. It's now 5 days since your baby was born, so if you don't have milk by tonight you need to see your doctor or midwife. But I suspect that you do have milk, and are mistaking the phenomenon of milk "coming in" for things that people commonly associate with milk coming in, which is feelings of fullness or engorgement.

So, if the stuff you're pumping is a creamy yellowish white, that's milk. If it's translucent cloudy gold, it's colostrum and you haven't started making mature milk yet.

Basically, I am with DJs.mom and Evolvingmama: you want to avoid the bottles and just nurse the baby. Stop worrying about "keeping up" with her and just nurse her as much as she will take- no bottles, no pacifiers- and watch diaper output. As long as diaper output is normal, she is getting enough to eat.

I'd love for you to see a professional for hands-on help. So call your local La Leche League and your local LCs, preferably the IBCLCs.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

There are also reasons for baby nursing so often at this very young age. Their tummy's are very small, so it only takes a few mls to fill her. It's digested easily and they're hungry again. Nursing every 2 hours also prompts your body to produce milk. That signal is needed. The baby is also MUCH more efficient at getting milk from you than a pump.

If you're concerned, get a lactation consultant (IBCLC) to evaluate baby and her latch. Getting help is normal. In years gone by, you'd have your Mom, sisters, Aunts, cousins, etc. all surrounding you with their own nursing knowledge and supporting you. So without that in place, going to a consultant (someone who is specifically trained in lactation) is very normal. Please make the call.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and