Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dropping early a.m. feed

Default Re: Dropping early a.m. feed

It's really all about supply. Yes, if you have a really robust supply or a frank oversupply, you can get away with fewer feedings in 24 hours. And there are working mothers who sleep more than 5 hours at a time. I am occasionally one of them (when my LO sleeps a longer stretch, which she does not consistently do!). But I also have an oversupply - I am still freezing 6 - 12 ounces of milk every day. So I can get away with it. But supply differs wildly from mom to mom. Some struggle to keep up, others have more milk than they know what to do with and have to actively decrease supply. So just because some mothers can do it, doesn't mean that your body will respond in the same way. You mentioned in your first post that you've had some supply problems. So you want to really guard that supply. And supply can be all the harder to keep up if you are relying on pumping at work during a big stretch of the day. Because if baby is sleeping a long stretch and night and you're at work during the day, that doesn't leave many nursing sessions. Which is why I think you've been getting the advice not to drop that feed.
    Also, agree with djs.mom that the number is 24-32 ounces/24 hours for a 9 month old. Milk needs are stable up to a year, then gradually solids start to increase and milk needs start to decrease.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Also, agree with djs.mom that the number is 24-32 ounces/24 hours for a 9 month old. Milk needs are stable up to a year, then gradually solids start to increase and milk needs start to decrease.
    I don't know where your doc got the figure that was quoted to you, but I have always understood that a baby's milk intake should remain constant until at least a year, after which milk may be replaced with solids. Until a year, solids are supposed to complement the milk in baby's diet, but not replace it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lbc View Post
    I know there's a risk associated with dropping the 4am feed, but aren't there people out there it's worked for? I appreciate all the support and encouragement and may well continue with it, but I'm just really curious-- isn't there anyone out there who pumps/works who has a baby who only gets a DF at night, a wake up feed, 3 (4 oz) bottles, and nurse 1 or 2 times between 6 - 7pm?

My guess is that I won't know if it will work until I try (if I even decide to do so, which is a semi-scary leap), but I'm just looking for evidence that it's worked for others, though maybe it's a moot point. But really, does no working mom on this forum get more than 5 hours of sleep at at time??!! It can't be true!

TIA mamas!
    No dude. No one who is exclusively breastdfeeding their 7 month old OR their 9 month old is only feeding their baby the OZ your doctor gave you. That doctor is assuming that your child is going to be eating so many solids at 9 months that she will need less breastmilk. He doesn't understand that breastmilk is your childs primary source of nutrition.
    And yeah I would say that most working mothers here would call a 5hour stretch of sleep on a consistent basis a DREAM.

Way too lazy for formula

I worry that you're going to get frustrated because no-one here is being supportive of the idea that you can safely drop that feeding, and get more badly needed rest. We must all come off as the biggest doom-and-gloom meanies. But the advice you're getting is really not meant to be cruel. We just really don't want you to drop the feeding and then come back in a few weeks with low supply, unable to pump enough, needing to supplement, etc. Who knows- maybe you can drop the feeding yet still continue to produce enough that you can nurse without frustration and pump enough for the daycare bottles. But the conservative answer is always going to be to not take that chance until you're at your LO's first birthday, or at least a lot closer to it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I worry that you're going to get frustrated because no-one here is being supportive of the idea that you can safely drop that feeding, and get more badly needed rest. We must all come off as the biggest doom-and-gloom meanies. But the advice you're getting is really not meant to be cruel. We just really don't want you to drop the feeding and then come back in a few weeks with low supply, unable to pump enough, needing to supplement, etc. Who knows- maybe you can drop the feeding yet still continue to produce enough that you can nurse without frustration and pump enough for the daycare bottles. But the conservative answer is always going to be to not take that chance until you're at your LO's first birthday, or at least a lot closer to it.
    I would argue that this isn't even a conservative answer. In that it's all supply and demand and that you were A.Worried about supply and at the same time B. Looking to feed less. And those two things DO NOT work together! To a mother who is exclusively nursing who is worried about supply we say NURSE MORE. So I don't think it's really conservative to tell you at the very LEAST you hold onto the sessions you have.

Way too lazy for formula