Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dropping early a.m. feed

Default Dropping early a.m. feed

My 7.5 month old eats 7 times a day and usually 3 of those are bottles while I'm at work (otherwise the BFing is 7a, then again 6p (mini feed again at 7p), 10:30 DF, and 4-5am.

I really want to drop the 4 - 5 am feed. I believe a conservative perspective would say I shouldn't. I was worried a little about supply, but all seems well now and we're on vacation this week so it might be a good time to try it, since she can make up for it and get my body synced with hers before I have to go back to pumping 3x at work.

Anyone out there just feeding their baby 6x/day and going 10p - 7a with no feeding? Seems like it should be OK but I've been cautioned a few times and just want to vet this idea a little more before I decide to try it! Any working moms ever drop a night feed and regret it? Or drop a night feed successfully and say, "yay, more sleep for me!"?

Default Re: Dropping early a.m. feed

I'm a SAHM, so I can't comment on the working mom's perspective. But I can say that the conservative opinion is almost surely the right one: most babies need at least 8 feedings per day while they remain exclusively breastfed. That's what the AAP say, not just me! If you did drop that nighttime feeding, you'd probably need to replace it with a daytime/work-time feeding. And dropping the night feeding could cause you to have more problems pumping during the day- if you're currently able to get away with 3 pump sessions, you might need to add in a couple sessions to make up for the missed demand at night. And I'm not just making that up to be mean- a lot of working moms find that their pump output slumps around the time their babies go all night without nursing, or around the time their fertility returns, something which is likely to happen when a baby doesn't nurse at night.

Sorry to be a downer!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

As a working mom, I have to agree, at least for now. If you can hang in there a few more months (until your baby is a little closer to the 12 month mark), it could make a big difference. Right now, your baby is probably relying on those night feeds to keep your supply up. Especially if you've struggled with supply before.

Working Mom also. Greatly concerned that you are only feeding a child that young only 7times in a 24hour period. Would be VERY VERY concerned about you dropping her feeds to only 6 a day. She is getting all of her nutrition from you. How would a 7.5 month old make that up? The dropped feed? It's all supply and demand. If you demand LESS from your body, How do you think you will somehow be able to provide the SAME amount of nutrition? Which I am already concerned about not being enough. Since the average babies average intake is between 24-32 oz a day. If you are only feeding her 7 times a day I am afraid that she is getting closer to only 21oz a day. How would you compensate for LESS feeding?

Way too lazy for formula

when my lo was under a year and i was pumping/working ft, i would nurse as often as i could when we were together. the baby removes milk so much more efficiently than the pump does. i knew he was getting what we needed from me if we spent lots of time nursing.

i was very happy my lo nursed a lot at night. i feel 10-7am is a long time for you lo to not nurse. you will definitely need to make up for that during the day, and when you are back at work next week it will be through pumping, which is harder.

so just keep that session in is my opinion.

congrats on doing such a good job so far.

Those extra hours of sleep must be extremely tempting. But I am not sure how much extra sleep you would really get, as a baby of this age who has not eaten in 5 hours may very well actually be hungry, so will need a bottle or something. Nursing is usually the easiest way to provide a meal to baby.

You dream feed at 10:30. Do you mean you are in bed with baby? Can the early am feeding be similar?

Just to offer another perspective, I always found/find those early morning feedings the sweetest, even when I was exhausted from all night nurse a thon. Yes, it is really hard to not get what we once considered normal sleep, but if you are getting a stretch of sleep from about 11pm-4 or 5, that is actually pretty normal. Many kids in the toddler and preschooler stage, go through a period of time of waking up REALLY early in the morning no matter when they went to bed. I am not even talking about nursing kids, just kids in general. Not all, but enough that there is more than one mom of a toddler or even a preschooler who is functioning on 5 hours of sleep at best. That is why some brilliant person came up with weekends, so even working moms could take naps.

Is the problem that your baby gets you up at 4, and then you can have no more sleep, you are up for the day? That can be really hard. This is probably not going to sound very appealing, but maybe actually finding a way to shift that feed slightly earlier so you can nurse and then go back to sleep for another hour or so would work better.

And remember that while motherhood is very long, babyhood is very short. (It just seeems long while you are in it.) What you are doing now for your baby will pay off in many ways later.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    but if you are getting a stretch of sleep from about 11pm-4 or 5, that is actually pretty normal.
    LIES! This is SO MUCH BETTER THAN NORMAL! If your baby is giving you a 5or 6hour stretch at night that is AMAZING and a million times better than what MOST people here have or had at 7months. Seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    And remember that while motherhood is very long, babyhood is very short. (It just seeems long while you are in it.) What you are doing now for your baby will pay off in many ways later.
    AGREE! This too shall pass.

Way too lazy for formula

You crack me up djs.mom.

I work full time, my baby is reverse cycling and we co sleep so she can get in her nutrition... I stopped counting nursing sessions when my first was a baby 16 years ago. I don't count sessions or watch the clock. We just nurse.... My baby is 6 months and I can't imagine not letting her nurse at night, with me working she needs me then to reconnect. I understand you may be tired but this time is so short.... Keep up the good work!

@lllmeg- the baby is in a crib, so I go into her room to feed her around 4 am. I do generally get back to sleep before waking up 6:30 to 7 when the baby is up for the day. I'm still so tired, though!

So I've been sticking with it, but I am wondering about how the transition is supposed to work towards more solids and why feeding 6 instead of 7 times couldn't work at this point? The pediatrician is saying at 9 months (a month away) she should be getting 16 - 20oz of milk which is different than what djs.mom suggests (24-32 oz a day) unless maybe we're talking about LO's age at time of this post (7.5 mo) vs. where she'll be in a month (9 mo). What are people's thoughts on how much milk is needed at 8 and 9 months?

My supply has been better (or maybe was never that bad) since I realized I only needed to leave 3 bottles of 4 oz./day after struggling to leave 5 oz. I know there's a risk associated with dropping the 4am feed, but aren't there people out there it's worked for? I appreciate all the support and encouragement and may well continue with it, but I'm just really curious-- isn't there anyone out there who pumps/works who has a baby who only gets a DF at night, a wake up feed, 3 (4 oz) bottles, and nurse 1 or 2 times between 6 - 7pm?

My guess is that I won't know if it will work until I try (if I even decide to do so, which is a semi-scary leap), but I'm just looking for evidence that it's worked for others, though maybe it's a moot point. But really, does no working mom on this forum get more than 5 hours of sleep at at time??!! It can't be true!

TIA mamas!