Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Issues witj latching and supplemeting with formula

Default Issues witj latching and supplemeting with formula

Hello, I am new here to the forums, and I am in desperate in need of advice. I have a one week old baby and I am having issues with latching and being able to only bf. At the hospital I began to bf as soon as I could after birth, she was not properly positioned and so I had very cracked nipples, which made the first days hard. While bf, my baby would stay for 15- 20 minutes but she would fall asleep very quickly. Last Monday, at the 2 day check up, her doctor told us we needed to supplement with formula since her jaundice was at 15 and to pump my milk to see how much I was producing. Since that day I have been pumping every 2-3 hours for 15-20 minutes and can only manage to get 1 ounce. We are having to supplement with 2 ounces of formula at every feeding because my baby will not stay full with just breast milk. Now, I tried putting her to the breast as I understand she will do a better job than the pump but she wont get my breast, she gets angry, I believe she is getting used to the bottle.
    I would like to do bf and some pumping just because I will have to go back to work eventually, but I do not know what to do if she is not getting my breast? Also, I do not know if it is normal for me to only produce 1 ounce after a week and two days. I began taking fenugreek yesterday in hopes of increasing supply.
    How can I stop the formula if I am not producing enough for my baby's demand?
    Please help me, I do not want to give up as for me bf is the best choice.

Default Re: Issues witj latching and supplemeting with formula

sorry for the short reply - typing one-handed with sleeping baby.

Look here regarding low supply: http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/supp...es/low-supply/

And here for getting off formula and back on the breast:http://kellymom.com/bf/got-milk/basi...rease-formula/
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

I think the first thing you should do is to read the PP's links. The second thing you should do is to call a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. The cracks, the high bili level, and the fact that you're not having an easy time getting rid of the supplements suggest to me that there might be a latch problem that would benefit from hands-on help from an expert.

Your doc gave you bad advice about the pump. Pumping is not a good guage of milk production or of how much a baby gets when she nurses. Pumping is a learned skill, and how much a mom gets when she pumps depends not only on her expertise but also on the type of pump she has and her response to that pump. Since you're doing a lot of pumping, and supplementing with a large amount of formula, i think you should be using a hospital-grade rental pump, or at least a top-of-the-line consumer model like a Medela Pump in Style, with correctly sized shields. Using the best possible pump, and using it frequently, should help you get your supply to where it needs to be so that you can exclusively breastfeed the baby. Herbs like fenugreek are nice, and can provide a boost to supply, but when it comes to increasing supply nothing beats frequent and complete milk removal with a high-quality pump or a baby who is a good nurser!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank u very much for the replies. I am using a hygeia emjoye pump, do you know if that's a good one, or should I get another one?

the enjoye is a great pump, for its grade, which is a 'personal use' grade, the same as a medela pump n style. (The enjoye does have a closed system so it can be safely used by others but that does not make it a hospital rental grade.) Rental grades cost at least three times what personal use cost, which is why users rent them from hospitals or lactation consultants. A Enjoye or a pump in style etc, grade is fine for a mom with a 6 weeks old or older baby whose milk production is well established and who is pumping 2 or 3 times a day due to being back to work. A mom who must pump 10 times a day who is trying to bring her milk production to normal levels when her baby cannot or is not nursing really should be using a hospital grade rented pump, whatever brand you can get your hands on. (hygeia's hospital grade is called the Endere, medela is the lactina, etc.) They are just two completely different things with different purposes.

Can you see a board certified lactation comsultant? if you can, please, don't wait. call someone today. if you are in the US, get names from your local lll, hospital, hcp, breastfeeding coalition, WIC, here...www.ilca.org