Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Remind me that this is normal...

Default Remind me that this is normal...

DS2 was born Thursday night. He took to the breast right away, and didn't want to let go!

Then last night, it's like a flip was switched. He was fussy from about midnight to 4 am, didn't want to latch on, wanted to suck on his fingers instead the breast, and popped on and off when I finally got him latched.

This morning was slightly better, but he's still pretty fussy. He's still popping on and off, and his hands keep getting in the way. I've been switching breasts whenever he pops off to fuss, and that's been helping.

This is normal, right? It's been a couple years since DS1 was this small, so don't really remember.
    Breastfeeding, babywearing, sci-fi loving, total geek of a mom!

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

Default Re: Remind me that this is normal...

Congrats on the new baby!

What he's doing is totally normal, and totally frustrating. Is your milk in yet? If not, I bet it's about to arrive at any moment. Just be patient, keep doing what you're doing, and watch his diaper output. As long as that remains normal, then you're fine.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Your post made me smile. I had my son Wednesday night, and am going through the same sort of thoughts. My two "is it normal thoughts?"

1) Overall, he has a great latch for a 3 day old. Sometimes he'll slip at the end of a session and he'll get "chewy" on my nipple, for lack of a better word. I pop him off to relatch and then he doesn't really want to latch again, or even switch to the next side. That means he's done, right?

2) My last son started spitting up at like 4-6 weeks. This guy is doing it from the beginning. It doesn't bother him as far as I can tell. We're trying to nurse upright and burp him frequently and all the things you are supposed to do. He's definitely in the happy spitter category. Totally normal, right?

Thanks guys. He's pooping, peeing fine (we've already had 3-4 wets today and a couple of poops)and we're settling in just fine despite the blizzard outside.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start

Congratulations to both of you on the new arrivals!!!

Ellen, my LO was spitting up from the very beginning. I guess that means your milk is in? As long as he is in the happy spitter category, nothing to worry about. As far as coming off and not wanting to get on again, is he getting sleepy? Or is he just done? Sounds like his diapers are good, as long as he's getting on with good frequency should be okay. If it's sleepiness, you may need to tickle his feet/neck, keep him from being too warm, stripped down/skin-to-skin etc. Or change his diaper in between sides.

Heh, mine is doing the nipple slip too! And he's spat up a couple times already too.

Diaper output is iffy... He had 3 wet diapers and 2 big meconium diapers in his first 24 hours. Then yesterday he had 3 "wets" (well, more like one wet diaper and two diapers that would have been wet if I'd waited 30 more seconds before checking ) but no poops. Lots and lots of farts though!

My milk came in during the night, so hopefully that will get his system going. He's surprisingly alert, until he has a nipple in his mouth. I've been doing as bfwmomof3 suggests and keeping him cool and tickling his feet while nursing.

Another question... I had massive oversupply and OALD with DS1. What are the odds of that happening again?

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. — Dr. Seuss

I think that moms who have had oversupply once are more likely to have it a second time, though of course every breastfeeding experience is different.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

froggylogic, it's one wet diaper per day old in the beginning - day 3, 3 wet diapers. So it sounds like you're doing fine, and now that your milk is in you'll probably see a lot more wets. My personal experience has been that with each baby my supply has been very similar (always an oversupply with OALD in my case).

We had our 3 day follow-up with the midwife today. DS2 has lost 8% of his body weight (birth 8 lbs 3 oz, today just 7 lbs 8 oz). I suspect, and the midwife agrees, that he's tongue-tied. DS1 was tt, but it was missed at birth, then dismissed later on. I never had any pain due to DS1's tt, and I have yet to have any pain from nursing DS2. My main concern is effective milk transfer (and later speech issues developing), so I guess we'll be off to the ENT as soon they're open again after the holidays.

Be patient, momma!
    I'm Rebecca; the local fish out of water in small town Alabama
    DS Duglen born Jan 2011 & breastfed for 16 months - never tasted formula
    DD Debra born Dec 2012; my NATURAL girl & boob lover