Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding questions(s)

Default Breastfeeding questions(s)

I am running out to the mall and my DH will probably need to feed DD. If I miss a nursing session will I need to pump when I get home or will my supply dip from a missed feeding? DD is 10 wks now. She almost never gets a bottle but I don't want to bring her out (there is an influenza outbreak in the community)
    Also, if the baby feeds on an emptier breast(s) I read there is more hindmilk - if this is true does she get full quicker because of the fattier milk?
    One last question, when I pump after DD eats I feel like it throws off my breastmilk production for the rest of the day and I am constantly playing catch up and DD acts like there is not enough. Is this is my head? I don't pump until im right empty (only about an 1-1.5oz per breast).

Default Re: Breastfeeding questions(s)

Can you take baby with you to the mall, and carry her in a sling? If she is snuggled right up next to you, it's pretty safe. People who might lean in and touch/cough on a baby in a carrier are usually more reticent when baby is in a sling, because touching the baby would mean invading the adult's personal space.

When a baby feeds on emptier breasts, the milk is higher in fat than when the baby feeds on fuller breasts. The trade-off is that the milk volume is lower and the flow tends to be slower, so it may take baby longer to get full.

I think that the "thrown-off" production is probably in your head. The post-feeding pumping you are doing is minimal, and should not do anything to your supply aside from increasing it in the longer term, particularly if you are doing it consistently.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Breastfeeding questions(s)

If anything , pumping after feeding will increase your supply rather than decrease your supply. I would pump 1st thing in the morning when you get up to pee if I had a choice.

Way too lazy for formula