Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Finally successful breastfeeding! With some issues...

Default Finally successful breastfeeding! With some issues...

So it's like a light came on this past week with my LO. We came home from the peds office after him giving us the amazing news that we can stop fortifying his EBM with enfacare, and my LO latches right away and breastfeeds...not once but at least 80% of the time for the next 3 days! It was SO encouraged because it's been a battle, but he just decided it was his time. It was all great until today.....I've been trying to quickly transition from exclusive pumping to breastfeeding and I may have expected too much of myself and my LO too fast. I believe I have a severely decreased output on one breast...the one he doesn't favor, but at the same time when it's full it has OALD, so no matter what time of day/how full my one breast is my LO really doesn't prefer it, but will always latch on the other one that seems to have regulated itself really fast. So i guess my question is, how am i supposed to do this transition without compromising my supply, and keeping my LO happy as best I can? Sometimes i think he needs more than my one breast, but then refuses the other, then will relatch on the first one and keep suckling? It's very odd....even if hte milk is dripping into his mouth from the one he doesn't prefer he won't take it. I used to pump about 45 oz a day with is a large oversupply for my LO and i'm having a hard time not pumping even half that...just need advice/encouragment on not focusing on the numbers, but knowing how to do this delicately so I have the same abundance for my LO.
    Sorry, one more thing, he really still doesn't like to eat before bed at the breast when he is "filling up" to sleep for a while...he will eat but keeps fussing and latching on and off, on and off and eventually i give him a small bottle and he goes to bed...jsut when he is really hungry (does great dream feeding...) How do i break his dependency to get "full" on the bottle? Am i expecting too much of my 3 month, 1 month adjusted preemie to burn too much energy eating a lot from the breast?

thanks!

Default Re: Finally successful breastfeeding! With some issues...

I think you're doing a lot better than you think! My guess is that the pre-bedtime fussiness is developmental. It's been observed that fussiness and colic tend to begin around 3 weeks of age, peak by around 3-4 months of age, and are usually gone by 6 months. This is true for premature babies as well- only they start at 3 weeks ADJUSTED age, and that's the big clue that evening fussiness/colic is developmental, not a result of something the parents are doing/not doing, or the way the baby is being fed.

Some things that work for fussy evenings/colic:
    - Nurse, nurse, nurse, nurse- if the baby is willing, that is.
    - Motion. Stroller ride, swing, sling, bounce on exercise ball, etc.
    - Closeness. Snuggle baby in a sling or skin-to-skin.
    - White noise. Radio static, dryer sounds, vacuum noise, etc.
    - Trip outside- fresh air and a change of scene can do wonders!
    - Warm bath.

If you must continue to give one bottle per day, that's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things. My first kid was a severe evening fusser, and we had supply issues so we were using bottles already, and I found that an evening bottle was the only thing that calmed her down. It was a temporary measure, though: by three months she decided that nursing was more fun than bottles, and she never had a bottle again.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thankyou! i def think thats part of it but over yuesterday and today he has gotten even fussier and will only shallow latch and keeps pulling off! just when i thought we were getting somewhere!

i have a sinking suspician we might be dealing with a milk protein allergy

What symptoms are you seeing? Milk protein allergies are WAY overdiagnosed. Many of the symptoms ascribed to allergies can also be caused by much more common things, like oversupply- which you know you had just a short time ago.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

I have heard it is overdiagnosed...just going with that assumption because i've had multiple neices and nephews hat have seen drastic, if not full improvement when their mothers cut out all dairy, not that it means it will work in my case. I was thinking over supply as well. How could I deal with my oversupply? I was planning on calling my LC this week about it, but if anyone has any tips it would be great!

I think what happens a lot of the time is that people do dairy eliminations to deal with things that are not caused by dairy and which eventually resolve on their own. Like oversupply: feed on demand and don't pump in addition to nursing, and it eventually goes away. Or like normal infant fussiness; time takes care of that.