Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Use fresh or freezer stash?

Default Use fresh or freezer stash?

I have a good freezer stash which I will give my mom for my first day back at work but just wondering if once I start pumping at work to have her give fresh for the next day or freeze the fresh and have her keep giving from the oldest frozen?
    I couldn't say for sure how much I have frozen maybe 5 days worth. Is kept in deep freezer.

Very nervous about going back to work too so if anyone has some calming words I could use them! Worried My supply is going to drop, worried about getting time to go pump and getting a pumping routine going, worried that my worrying is already effecting my supply! Ugh! I hate that I have to work.

Default Re: Use fresh or freezer stash?

Nevermind ladies I found anther thread with same question so I got my answer.

Well in case someone new comes and doesn't find the old one you found,
    You should always give the oldest milk you have on Monday, then your fresh milk that you pump tues thru fri and then freeze what you pump on Fri and then the next oldest the following Monday. This will make sure you are always rotating out your oldest milk so that none of it goes to waste. And in the event that you have any supply issues you can supplement out of your freezer stash. The most important thing about going back to work is making sure your mother understand how NOT TO OVER FEED! The Rule of thumb is 1-1.5 oz of milk for every hour that you are away from the baby. Baby bottles should always be between 3&4oz. 4oz of milk is on the HIGH END of a feeding. DO NOT allow your child to be fed more than that at a feeding! No matter what. A LOT of DCP expect what a baby eats do increase in quantity as a the baby gets older. That is not true of the breastfed baby. Your milk grows and changes with your child. But she will never need more than 4oz at a time. Because she would never get more than 4oz directly from you.
    If you are worried about pumping check into your state law about it and how you are protected. And consider discussing it with your higher ups before you go back. So there is clear understanding of the fact that you WILL be pumping and what that will look like.

Way too lazy for formula

We have discussed how not to overfed and in fact when she was about 5 weeks old I had her come give a practice bottle while I gave my other dgtr some mommy time (whom I didn't breastfeed more than 2 weeks so this is all new to me). She gave her 2.5oz then thought she seemed hungry still so gave another 1oz then she spit up all over. I was pretty PO'd at her anyway she said, "maybe I gave it too fast" which really made me mad. I told her no you burped her every oz and gave over 30 minutes it wasn't too fast, it was too much! She's given her 2 bottles since then and she did fine but I know I am going to have to keep on top of her. I am giving her an emergency supply to keep in her deep freezer but I think making her give fresh the majority or the week is going to help because she will have what she has fresh and that is all she is to give her that day then. Baby girl will be 10 weeks next Monday and I go back Wednesday so I feel blessed to have had this much time with her.
    In Iowa there really isn't a lot of protection from the state so just the federal law protection which if they violate from what I understand is hard to really get anything unless you get fired salary compinsation. It has been an issue at my work with other women coming back. They let you pump but just give you a hard time about it. Out of the 6 fellow nurses I work with who have had babies in the time I've worked there which includes me with my first baby (yes, healthcare working at it's finest) only 1 has even attempted to continue nursing when they came back to work and the 1 who did quit after a couple months. They give you 2 - 10 minute breaks paid and then a unpaid 1 hour lunch which has to be taken between 11a and 1:30p. If you take over the 10 minutes you have to stop what you are doing to go clock out. To get coverage there isn't always help to cover you either. I am very non confrontational so it is going to be hard for me but I am going to put my foot down . Just makes me anxious that I know I am going to have to be like that. I've been in for well baby checks and my supervisors know I am still nursing. Unfortunately I have put of directly speaking with them about pumping but will call my direct scheduling supervisor tomorrow.

I work Monday-Friday 7:45a-5p and here is my plan, let me know what you think:

Drop girls off at mom's at 7a and nurse before leaving.
    10a pump
    12p pump, some days will be able to go nurse her
    3p pump
    5-5:30 pick-up and go home to nurse (live just 5 houses from my mom)

We are doing a dry run all day tomorrow so I will be pumping at those times and that will give me an idea of output.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*gaylen View Post
    We have discussed how not to overfed and in fact when she was about 5 weeks old I had her come give a practice bottle while I gave my other dgtr some mommy time (whom I didn't breastfeed more than 2 weeks so this is all new to me). She gave her 2.5oz then thought she seemed hungry still so gave another 1oz then she spit up all over. I was pretty PO'd at her anyway she said, "maybe I gave it too fast" which really made me mad. I told her no you burped her every oz and gave over 30 minutes it wasn't too fast, it was too much! She's given her 2 bottles since then and she did fine but I know I am going to have to keep on top of her. I am giving her an emergency supply to keep in her deep freezer but I think making her give fresh the majority or the week is going to help because she will have what she has fresh and that is all she is to give her that day then. Baby girl will be 10 weeks next Monday and I go back Wednesday so I feel blessed to have had this much time with her.
    In Iowa there really isn't a lot of protection from the state so just the federal law protection which if they violate from what I understand is hard to really get anything unless you get fired salary compinsation. It has been an issue at my work with other women coming back. They let you pump but just give you a hard time about it. Out of the 6 fellow nurses I work with who have had babies in the time I've worked there which includes me with my first baby (yes, healthcare working at it's finest) only 1 has even attempted to continue nursing when they came back to work and the 1 who did quit after a couple months. They give you 2 - 10 minute breaks paid and then a unpaid 1 hour lunch which has to be taken between 11a and 1:30p. If you take over the 10 minutes you have to stop what you are doing to go clock out. To get coverage there isn't always help to cover you either. I am very non confrontational so it is going to be hard for me but I am going to put my foot down . Just makes me anxious that I know I am going to have to be like that. I've been in for well baby checks and my supervisors know I am still nursing. Unfortunately I have put of directly speaking with them about pumping but will call my direct scheduling supervisor tomorrow.

I work Monday-Friday 7:45a-5p and here is my plan, let me know what you think:

Drop girls off at mom's at 7a and nurse before leaving.
    10a pump
    12p pump, some days will be able to go nurse her
    3p pump
    5-5:30 pick-up and go home to nurse (live just 5 houses from my mom)

We are doing a dry run all day tomorrow so I will be pumping at those times and that will give me an idea of output.
    That all sound fine except your 2 10 minute breaks aren't really enough time. AND By law I think they have to give you two pumping breaks IN ADDITION to your regular time off. So Look that up and then point it out. And then tell them work out a compromise. Which like you will take your two paid breaks TOGETHER for your 1st pumping break. And then you will take ONE additional pumping also for 20minutes and if you have to punch out for that, Fine but then you don't have to stop in the middle of your break to punch out. And that should make them happy. As they aren't going to have to pay you for any extra unpaid time. Because realisitically even if 10 minutes was enough pumping time, you need time to set up and take the pump apart and put it away.
    Also in and effort to save time remember that you DO NOT have to wash all the pump parts every time you pump. Breastmilk is good in the fridge for up to 7 days and out at room temperature for up to 8 hours. So if you leave your pump OUT you can take it home and wash it the end of each day. And if you just throw the whole thing in the fridge, you can actually just take it home to wash on Wed and Fri for the weekend.

Way too lazy for formula

Thank you for the tips - very helpful! I was going to put everything in the fridge but I think I'll just leave it all out instead. I can go up to OB to pump but we usually have rooms at the clinic everyday where there is a provider gone and it would save a lot of timefor me to just set up in one those in the morning then leave it here all day. I'll just put the expressed milk in my little cooler.

Just pumped as first missed nursing and got about 3oz total in approx 10 mins so as long as I keep that up we should be okay for supply.

With your suggetions and what I got out with pumping I am feeling more optimistic about it all.