Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month old only eats while laying in bed...

Default 4 month old only eats while laying in bed...

My DD has been getting more and more distracted while nursing for a while now. Starting a few weeks ago, if it got so bad that she wouldn't nurse but was clearly hungry, I would take her into the bedroom and just nurse her lying down like we do at night. The past couple days though, it's getting to be that she'll ONLY nurse that way. If I try to nurse her while sitting up on the couch like normal, she'll latch for a second, arch away, and scream bloody murder. I've tried putting a cover on, just to cut out the distractions, but it doesn't seem to work. She was just at the doc's on Monday getting her 4 month shots and he looked in her ears, everything was fine. Could the shots just be exacerbating this new tendency? I'm a little anxious, as we have many family events to go to next week with the holidays, and she won't nurse with me sitting up! Does anyone have any tricks, tips or advice for this? And is it temporary?

Many thanks!

Default Re: 4 month old only eats while laying in bed...

My son did the exact same thing around 4 months. He would ONLY nurse in the side-lying position; I don't know why. It lasted that way for about a month or two, can't really remember at this point. It did get tiresome to have to spend so much time in bed with him, but I just went with it since it was the only way he would eat at that time. He eventually grew out of it and became a really good nurser again. Now he's 13 months and he mostly wants to nurse standing up! Try to roll with it, mama. Like everything else about breastfeeding, this too shall pass
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*joshuas.mommy View Post
    My son did the exact same thing around 4 months. He would ONLY nurse in the side-lying position; I don't know why. It lasted that way for about a month or two, can't really remember at this point. It did get tiresome to have to spend so much time in bed with him, but I just went with it since it was the only way he would eat at that time. He eventually grew out of it and became a really good nurser again. Now he's 13 months and he mostly wants to nurse standing up! Try to roll with it, mama. Like everything else about breastfeeding, this too shall pass
    my baby went through a similar phase. it lasted longer than i would have perhaps wanted in an ideal world, but we just embraced it. it was nice cuddle time, good for me to rest, and he did grow out of it. and like joshua's mommy noted, now he mostly nurses standing up...walking around, bouncing up and down, rolling around, etc. now, i kind of miss lying down!! i know all the lying down is a pain, especially if you have lots of plans over the holidays--but maybe it will give you a good excuse for a little rest and quiet every few hours?

my boy was like that almost form the start, i was so envious of moms who nursed sitting up, he almost exclusively nursed lying down until about 8 or 9 months. INterestingly enough he has gone back to that, he is now 4 years and 1 month, and nurses only at bed time and only ever lying down.

as PPs said, go with it rather than fight it, especially if going to relatives house. if baby resists nursing sitting up than you might end up witha very stressful nursing session in a already potentially stressful environment. I have strong memories of that first Christmas with the baby.
    What I did (he was 7 weeks by his first christmas) was ask my SIL to let me use a bedroom i could just go into when needed, which was great anyway, as at that time I would not have been able to nurse with an audience of several curios SsIL all handing out free advice ;-)
    Luckily the drive there was under two hours so he did not want to nurse during the trip, and I made sure to nurse him before we got back into the car. If you needed to nurse him during the trip, it depends on make of car but i did succeed nursing lying down once when he was small, on the back seat, lying on my side with my back to the back of the front seats and baby lying agianst the backrest of back seat. it made my husband laugh.

I too have a four-month-old who is extremely particular about positioning right now, and has been for about a month. You'd think I am trying to poison her if I dare offer the breast sitting up---same dramatic reaction of howling and back arching. I thought maybe I did/am doing something when I hold her that was hurting her or making it so uncomfortable that she just started refusing, so I'm glad to see I'm not the only one. Lately she won't nurse even side-lying much of the time. She has to be latched on while I walk around, or else asleep. We're on vacation and I'll tell you it isn't easy, but it's doable, especially if the people around you are understanding. We had a 13 hour car trip broken up into two days and on the road there was very, very little nursing going on. I pumped a couple of times, did the best I could with her, and then she made up for it once we got to our destination. You'll be alright even if she doesn't nurse extremely well for a day or two.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tejana View Post
    You'd think I am trying to poison her if I dare offer the breast sitting up---same dramatic reaction of howling and back arching.
    This sounds like my daughter exactly! Thanks for the replies, ladies! It's good to know that at least it's normal and will change at some point! Honestly, if it weren't for the holidays, it wouldn't bother me so much. I had some success this morning nursing her on the couch...I put her nursing cover hat on, and just switched sides whenever she started crying, and eventually she latched on well. I guess we'll just see how things go!

Good to know that the side-switching worked for you. Something else I do with my LO when she gets like this (also began around 4 months, she's now 5.5 mo) is hold her in cradle position, "like a little baby", I tell her I guess it's closer to her ideal of lying down and it has saved me a few times in restaurants and other public places.

Sounds completely normal; I too had a 4 month old who would only nurse well when she was lying in bed with me (it even had to be in our bedroom!! tried the guest room and she balked... silly baby)

Anyway, at the time I didn't know this was pretty common so I had images of me being confined to nurse her in bed during the rest of our nursing relationship.

But now she is 7 months and is a great nurser again. Albeit her nursing times are pretty short during the day (she's working on crawling, babbling, and daddy & puppy are big distractions...hehe) but I can cradle her again or sit her in my lap to nurse wherever we are! Out in public, the living room, someone else's house, blah blah blah.

So as all the other moms have said, it will pass and your baby won't be so particular in the future Don't worry about it becoming a bad habit. If that is where baby can nurse the best, then that is where you should nurse baby until s/he grows out of it

good luck!
    Amber

Mommy to Baby Sage: 6lb, 19in, born on 5/20/12

love: hotsling AP, bumgenius diapers, ergoBaby
    loving fiancée to SAHD

visit us at: mommy & sage