Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 4 month old got water at dc and may be eating too much?

Default Re: 4 month old got water at dc and may be eating too much?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*qd View Post
    This is at least her second bf baby that shes taken care of. She actually made a comment that the previous baby wasnt nearly as hungry as mine. According to the daily sheets I get he is held a fair amount of time by her or her older children. Maybe a growth spurt if he wasn't sleeping 8-10 hours straight. I don't know how to approach this anymore.
    I was going to say I thought this sounded like maybe a growth spurt too, especially since the 3 oz bottles were working in the beginning and she has been asking for more lately (and 4 months is a normal growth spurt). And, it could definitely be this. But, then you wrote that baby sleeps 8-10 hours/night (lucky you!).

If I'm doing my math and understanding correctly, baby is a DC/away from you 10.5 hours, then sleeps up to 10 hours without nursing? So, on a workday, he is only with you and nursing for 3.5 hours? I'm no expert, but if that's the case, I think him taking that 16 ounces during the day makes sense--he isn't getting any intake during a significant portion of the 24 hours (when he is sleeping) so is getting his entire milk intake in 14 hours rather than 24. My baby was always on the low end of the 1-1.5 ounce/hour while away estimate, but he nursed a LOT at night.

Do you work 5 days/week? Do you nurse on demand on the weekends?

In any case, there is absolutely no need for the water. (Though I do appreciate her intention behind it--to protect your reunion BF -- but water is not needed).

Default Re: 4 month old got water at dc and may be eating too much?

He goes to sleep at 7 and wakes between 3-4 and nurses really well when I am engorged then sleeps til 630ish and nurses fairly well again. I nurse him twice at night before bed and I nurse him on demand on the weekends. Actually probably more than he wants or needs, I just like to! And yes, five days a week.