Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 month old got water at dc and may be eating too much?

Default 4 month old got water at dc and may be eating too much?

Alright ladies. My son has been at an in home dc now for only three weeks. She has five children of her own in which she breastfed all of them so she knows how important it is for me and my son. When he first started she was giving him three, three oz bottles (he was getting accustomed to bottle feeding) but said that she thought he needed more and upped it to four bottles. Just in the last week or so she said the three ounces wasn't enough for him so now he gets four, four oz bottles. Once or twice hes skipped one. He typically nurses at 645 and then not again until 515 so he is away from me for ten+ hours. At 1-1.5 oz per hour away he is at the high end of the scale. Does this seem right?

Next... Today he was extra crabby where she said maybe 40 minutes total he was not crying unless he was sleeping. He is a pretty sensitive baby already but that much crying is abnormal. I think he might be teething. An hour after his last bottle she gave him water, i think 3oz. I don't pick up or drop off so I only have what's on the sheet she gives me everyday. I text her and she said she gave it to him just to calm him down. I plan on picking him up tomorrow to talk to her about it but I'm not sure if this should bother me as much as it is. I don't think he should get any water. We really like her so I don't want to create any tension if its not necessary. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Default Re: 4 month old got water at dc and may be eating too much?

Hi qd. Four 4 oz bottles over 10 hours is a lot. Think of it this way: baby needs 24 to 32 oz per day. That's where the 1 to 1.5 ounces/hour number comes from - 1 ounce per hour is a minimum, and some of the time baby may take up to 1.5 ounces per hour, but if he did that every hour, he would be up to 36 ounces per day. So the number is probably in between 1 to 1.5 ounces and definitely not MORE than that, which is where you are right now with 16 ounces in 10 hours. I'm wondering whether your dcp is using the bottle as a soothing technique - which she should not be doing! Can you give her other suggestions on how to soothe him - what works for you at home? Perhaps carrying him in a sling, or using a swing, or perhaps a pacifier if you are open to that and he is willing to take it?
    In terms of water, no, a 4 month old should not be drinking 3 oz of water! Personally I start sips of water when baby starts taking solids at six months. But 3 oz at 4 months - no, and definitely not a good soothing technique!
    It's really common for caregivers to use the bottle (whether it contains milk or water) as a soothing technique. But it's really counterproductive to the nursing relationship because: 1) it makes it hard for you to keep up with what you need to provide for LO through pumping; and 2) baby fills up during the day, therefore nurses less with you before and after dc, so you get a double hit to your supply.
    It sounds like a talk with your dcp is a really good idea. I think you can do it in a non-confrontational and respectful way so as not to create tension - "how can we work on this together" type of thing.

Well I talked with her this morning and as before she said the 3oz bottles she was giving him weren't cutting it. He would be looking for more once that was done so she upped it to 4oz. I am pumping just enough (maybe an extra ounce or three some days) to satisfy his needs. I don't think she is using the bottle to soothe him. I mean all babies are different so could he just really require more than the norm?

When I talked to her about the water she said that within a short time after his last bottle he was showing hunger signs and getting fussy. So instead of giving him more milk and jeopardizing our evening nursing sessions she tried the water. He mostly played with it but two ounces were gone and most of that he drank. If he was truly hungry wouldn't I rather he had an ounce or two of bm? Like I said before, she nursed all five of her babies but when I was concerned with the water she didn't seem to be.

You know, she may have nursed all of her babies, but I bet she didn't bottle feed any of them. Also, she was used to being able to nurse her babies at any time to comfort them. Has she taken care of anyone else's breastfed baby? My guess is that most of the babies that she took care of have been formula fed. And I would also guess that most people will offer a bottle to a fussy baby if they aren't nursing that particular baby. 4 ounces should be more than enough for him at one time. Have you asked her to try offering a pacifier after the bottle? Also, does she ever hold him when she's not feeding him? If the only way he gets comforted is when he gets a bottle, he will learn that he should drink the bottle even if he's not hungry in order to get held.

I would be upset about the water. It wasn't on the list of approved foods for your baby, which is your milk only at this point.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Do you think he might be going through a growth spurt right now?

This is at least her second bf baby that shes taken care of. She actually made a comment that the previous baby wasnt nearly as hungry as mine. According to the daily sheets I get he is held a fair amount of time by her or her older children. Maybe a growth spurt if he wasn't sleeping 8-10 hours straight. I don't know how to approach this anymore.

I think you have to be kind of firm. No water, it's non-negotiable. It might help to give your DCP 2 bottles of 2 oz apiece rather than a single 4 oz bottle. That way the DCP is forced to pause the feeding, giving the baby a chance to reassess whether or not he's really hungry or just enjoying a good suck.

Have you considered nursing him at night? More night-nursing might translate into less daytime need.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Another good suggestion that I read here on the forums was to give a 3 ounce bottle with a frozen 1 ounce "topper." That way, if she thinks he needs the extra ounce, she has to go through the trouble of thawing the topper - might be just enough for her to reconsider, or for LO to get busy with something else in the meantime.

Well... I actually just give her a weeks worth (+/-) of frozen milk and she distributes it. She was trying smaller amounts but he wasn't ok with that. Maybe he is eating more during the day so he can sleep more at night. To be honest, I like the sleep and he is much happier when he gets more too. When he was waking up every couple hours he wasn't hungry. I'd try to nurse him but he would just sit there. Only recently has he been sleeping this long. There is a pdf on here called "bottle feeding the breastfed baby" which maybe I'll give to her. I'll just flat out tell her no water which is what I implied this morning. At what age do babies get water?

Here's a whole page of information (with additional links) about giving baby water: http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...ds/baby-water/.
    For me, a natural time to start water has been together with solids.