Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Now what?

Default Now what?

So I posted awhile ago that my DD (now 10 months) was congested and not eating well. Turns out it was a sinus infection. We got her antibiotics and she's through with them, and while she's still got a runny nose, I think we're on our way to recovery.

However, she is STILL eating poorly. We just came back from an 8 day cruise where DD ate so badly - about 1-2 minutes of nursing every 3-4 hours, with only 1 or 2 night wakings (eating 7-10 minutes). I was offering at least every two hours, but she would roll away, or push me away, or say all done after latching for a second. Luckily I brought the pump, but I thought for sure she was starting to wean. I mean, we were giving her bits of bread and fruit when we had meals, but she still should have been eating a lot more milk. My supply is in ruins, even with the pump. I'm not freaking out though, because I know my body will compensate if she wants more now that we're home.

We came home Sunday night, and Monday she ate a little better, but not great, about 2-3 minutes every 2-3 hours. Monday night and last night were a nightmare - up every hour from 12-8 needing to eat for maybe 4-5 mins. Today she only nursed for about 3 minutes every 2 hours (because I offered), with the exception of when she was eating before her nap, which was about 6 or 7 minutes.

I get that babies eat quicker when they are older, but her diaper output is low - only 4 diapers in 24 hours, and only 1 of them is really soaked (the overnight one). I tried giving her milk in a bottle, a sippy cup, juice in a sippy, water in a sippy and a cup and she won't drink more than .25-.5 oz at a time. She just throws the bottle/sippy across the room.

I don't want her to think that now it's okay for her to eat all the time at night and not during the day. I also don't understand why she doesn't want to drink! I have gotten no sleep and I'm freaking exhausted. I don't want to wean early, I was SO dead set on nursing for 2 more months. But if she keeps refusing to drink for more than a couple minutes, how can I keep her fed and hydrated? Should I wait LONGER to offer her the breast, because I did that when we were on vacation and she still didn't eat then either. Please help!!!
    Last edited by @llli*blueberrysmom; December 19th, 2012 at 08:10 PM.

Default Re: Now what?

Eating ever hour is probably her getting back into her groove. I am sure the distraction of being on the cruise was what was causing the poor eating. And now she is home and she is interested again. Walk around with your top off. Gear up to spend the next few days just nursing. A baby that is now asking that often is not walking away, rejecting you or striking. But don't get too upset about the reverse cycling. It's the easiest way to get back on track. Allow it without resentment. It takes us all a few days to recalibrate after vacation....

Way too lazy for formula

LOL yanno, I normally would say "sure, okay" to walking around with my top off, but we're having our house sided this week and there's about 7 or 8 strange men flitting in and out of windows - I don't think we're paying them for a show

I totally get the overnight thing - my husband was like "we need to let her cry it out" and I was like "uhm no. she's hungry and my supply was tanking so THIS is how she fixes it." While I'm not sure he believes me, she only went back to sleep that one time, and of course woke up 30 minutes later after not being fed... and I can already tell my supply is recovering. My concern is the diapers. djsmom you told me THAT is what I need to be watching, not time, or frequency or environment. Even before we left on the cruise, her diapers were lowish, like 5, maybe 6 if she pooped more than once that day. Being sick, I know that she NEEDS more to drink to combat the fevers (from teething? being sick? who knows) and just staying hydrated. But she is not asking to eat during the day - ever. I have to offer it every time and the feeding is quick - I am lucky if she takes the second breast at all, and this is coming from a baby who would switch 3 times a feeding. So let's say that for w/e reason she doesn't want to drink milk from me - she refuses to drink ANYTHING at all in w/e form a give it unless she is half asleep. This is what concerns me.

She just woke up at 8:30. She got into her diaper at 7:00 last night and the thing only weighs 3.2oz. After the WHOLE NIGHT. She ate at 10, 12:30, 3:30 and 7 and they were actually good feedings - at least 10 minutes. But where is the pee? If it follows that she's not getting enough milk to pee, they why won't she take anything else? Wouldn't she want to drink more? Isn't that our nature - to want to drink and stay hydrated? I can offer her the boob every 30 minutes and she wouldn't take it. Thoughts? Should I go back to the doc?

She might be holding onto her pee. I've had my girls wake up and have a dry diaper and then have a much heavier one a little bit later in the morning.

Does she still have a fever? Also, just because you know she needs to drink more doesn't mean that she realizes that she does. A baby can be hungry, cold, thirst, etc. and not understand anything other than that they are uncomfortable.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Okay, so I just decided to go to the DR - even if it was nothing, I could at least say that I went and got her looked at. BUT turns out - ear infection! I can't believe we just finished 10 days of antibiotics and she's got an ear infection. What are the chances? I mean, seriously, how many things are stacked up against us at once? The doc said that it probably hurts to swallow so thats why shes not drinking, which makes sense she's been getting tylenol at night, which numbs the pains and helps her eat/sleep. I haven't been giving it to her during the day so it's been hard to swallow and she's not eating well. I mean, it all makes sense when you put the pieces together, but I never would have thought she would have another infection after she was JUST treated for another one. Sheesh, and right before Christmas... So now we have a stronger antibiotic which may cause even more unpleasant symptoms, but should cure the ear infection. I'm hoping that if I give her tylenol with the new meds she'll nurse better in the daytime. I guess we'll see :/

My experience with ear infections has been that they started nursing well again as soon as they started the antibiotics. Sorry mama!
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Poor baby... but I'm glad you figured it out! My son had lots of ear infections, and antibiotics on top of antibiotics - no fun. Hope she feels better soon.

Good to hear mommy2lilah, thank you! Thanks for the support everyone - there is so much going around right now. The Dr said that she's also probably got something viral as well that's causing all the mucus and stuffiness. I wish everyone and their LOs a healthy holiday! Hopefully I will be able to report a healthy baby soon

Agree with mommy2lilah, when my son had an ear infection he was miserable, but once he started antibiotics he was much better within 24 hours. My guess is you'll have a much happier baby on your hands very soon
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

I know this post is a bit old, but wanted to throw in my two cents - I totally feel your pain, my babe has had back to back infections TWICE now. The first time was back to back ear and this second time was ear, croup, pneumonitis, all back to back. She's still on antibiotics now but everything looks clear. Sucks! I hope our kids stay healthy!!

I wanted to say (although I'm not sure how relevant it is at this point) that my doc told us a while back that babies don't get sinus infections? They said their sinuses don't really open up until they're over two. I never bothered to look into it, but I'm surprised to hear your babe got diagnosed with one.

Also, in my experience with baby infections (which seems vast at this point ), ibuprofen does a better job managing pain, and fever for that matter, than tylenol.

I hope your holidays were healthy and drama-free!
    Mama to
    O - July 2008
    and
    J - June 2012