Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Frequent feeding help

Default Frequent feeding help

My son is 5 months old. He is growing great (85 percentile), but he wants to nurse every 2-3 hours day and night. He is only eating 2-3 minutes per side. It seems he isn't interested after the flows slows. Could it be he is eating so often because he isn't getting enough or does he just like to snack? It doesn't bother me, but I feel people think I'm crazy when I tell them how often he is up at night (including his dr).
    Thank you for your responses!

Default Re: Frequent feeding help

Welcome to the forum! No-one here is going to think you're crazy, because a lot of us have babies who nurse as frequently as yours does, or even more so. And that includes during the night! My first kid ate hourly during the day, and was up 5-8 times per night. My second was a little more reasonable, and only ate every 2-3 hours at night. That sort of feeding pattern is entirely normal: breastfed babies tend to prefer an eating pattern where they take in small, frequent meals (a.k.a. "snacks") rather than large but infrequent ones. There are good reasons for this. First, breastmilk digests fast, usually in about 90 minutes. Second, infant tummies are tiny, and breastfed babies tend to take in much smaller meals than their formula-fed peers. Third, frequent feedings help maintain a good milk supply, because milk supply is created by demand.

The whole idea that babies should eat infrequent large meals and sleep long stretches at night is based on the behavior of formula-fed, intensively scheduled infants. It is not NORMAL behavior for human babies- if you want to see normal behavior, you need to observe a breastfed baby!

As long as the feeding pattern and frequent night-wakings don't bother you, then don't let anyone make you feel bad about doing what feels right to you and what is clearly right for your child!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Hi Mama! My DD was eating every 2-3 hours day and night until about 2 weeks ago - she is 10.5 weeks old She is also a quick eater. At this point in your LO's life, he might just be becoming efficient at eating and not need to nurse as long. He also may be too interested in the world to want to eat for long!!! Everything you are describing sounds perfectly normal to me! My DD gets up 2, maybe 3 times right now. I figure she will decide when she is ready to sleep all the way through the night. I think you are doing great mama! Don't worry about what others thing, trust your instincts

Totally normal!

I can't even keep track of how many times a day my almost 9 month old is at the breast -- at least every 90 minutes and sometimes 2-3 times an hour. She's a "drive-by" nurser: plays well on her own, sees mom, crawls over, nurses for a few mins, sometimes seconds, and goes back to playing. She now loves to nurse while standing and cruises along the couch to get me. Who knew nursing would be a powerful motivation for mobility??

If it doesn't bother you then just embrace the cuddles, the love, and the time with LO. We have many pics of Viv's insane nursing positions and I'm looking forward to sharing those with her when she's much much older.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.