Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing Tantrums

Default Nursing Tantrums

Yesterday Lucas (he's 15 months, BTW) wanted to nurse. He had been awake for a bit and had lunch, consisting of a whole grilled cheese stuffed with veggies, a handful of chopped up grapes, and home made veggie fries. Not to mention all the water. So at this point, I could tell he wanted to nurse just for the heck of it.

I did not want to at all. He had been up the entire night before nursing and was really rough and bitey. I was sore and and was tired of being a chew toy. So I told him not right now and tried to distract him with colors and a coloring book. That was NOT what he wanted and he pitched a huge fit. He screamed at me and started to try to hit me. I told him that wasn't nice and sat on my bad where he couldn't get to me and let him throw his tantrum. 10 minutes later he was fine.

So did I do the right thing? I felt bad denying him, but like I said it wasn't to nurse down for a nap or anything. And I was so sore and uncomfortable. But he had a lot of toddler rage going on!
    *Micah*

Ready to be again!

and and

Default Re: Nursing Tantrums

It sounds like what you did was fine. He needs to learn that hitting doesn't get him what he wants. I'm not sure that he wanted to nurse "for the heck of it", probably for comfort. Do you only nurse for naps or something? I still nursed both my girls on demand at 15 months and Trixie nurses a ton for comfort now at 23 months.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I do nurse on demand, but for the past month or so, it's been before breakfast, for naps, and at night. And that's the schedule he set. If he wants to comfort nurse for teething or whatever, he's whiney and grumpy. If he just wants to "drive by nurse", he just climbs in my lap. This was more of a random "drive by nursing." He'll also push my small dog out of my lap and force his way in. She was napping beside me at the time and he had been trying to get her off the couch too.

He's been very forceful and tantrumy lately and I've been ignoring it, so I'm just hoping I'm doing the right thing!
    *Micah*

Ready to be again!

and and

As long as you're following your instincts, you're doing the right thing Mama.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months