Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: nursing a congested 8-week-old

Default nursing a congested 8-week-old

My 8-week-old baby has gotten the cold that's going around. It's not too bad except when he nurses. He can barely breathe through his nose, he sounds like a little warthog snuffling around, and gets very frustrated.

Are there any tips or tricks, positions that work better than others, anything i can do to help him eat until this passes?

Default Re: nursing a congested 8-week-old

I haven't needed to try this yet with my baby, but I've heard of moms squirting a little breastmilk in baby's nose to help clear up congestion. Worth a try!

My husband has a cold so ending up in the same situation is worrying me too! I haven't had to deal with it yet either. Good luck!

My lo was just 3 weeks old when she came diwn with bronchitis. So we had to deal with a week of a really snotty nose. My pedi recommended using: a humidifier( made sure it has a CLEAN filter, other wise it can make congestion worse), saline spray (little noses in the can works great for me, easier to use) and a good bulb sucker or even better a nosefreida aka the snot sucker. The most important thing is makeing sure he stays hydrated. It helps keep the snot thin. I put my daughter on a 2 hour sech. ( pretty much was on it anyway) even at night. Also if it gets to bad a steamy bathroom does wonders just make sure that you and the baby do not get to hot. I don't use Vicks because it is petroleum based so I make my own. Just google homemade natural Vicks and you should get a lot of good recipes. I would put it on her feet and then put her socks on. Most of the time they get better in a few days but if you start hearing a wheezing sound when he breathes you may want to take him to your pedi. Colds can progress very fast my daughter had one on Sunday but by Tuesday we were getting chest x-rays and about to be admitted to the hospital.
    Wife to Jon - 1/07/2012
    Mum to Emmaline Grace- 10/4/12 7 ibs. 13 oz.

I'm going through this just now with my 8 week old boy too! I got a saline nasal spray from the chemist and it works a treat. I wasn't sure about it, LO doesn't seem that bothered when I squirt it up his nose either. It really does work so worth a try xx

My 11 week old is suffering from a snotty nose too! We tried putting a few drops in his nose and then using a bulb syringe. We waited a few minutes to let the milk work, and it did seem to help. We repeated a few times last evening/night, and he woke up much less snotty. He's started to snort again now though so I'm guessing we're going to have to try it again lol. Good luck!

I ditto the nosefrida. Before I use it, I will wipe her nose a washcloth wet with warm water (not hot) to try to loosen up the snot before using it. Saline also works, but I find the wet washcloth works is less disagreeable to her.

I agree with k9companion. I actually am an ER nurse and the pediatricians I work with also have use teach parents how to use normal saline and a bulb syringe. Use the saline as drops not as a spray and do it as often as needed especially before feedings and bedtime. Your LO isn't going to like it but it'll help alot.

Dude, Try the breastmilk BEFORE trying saline drops and a bulb. Babies HATE that and they usually DON'T hate the breastmilk up the nose because they are used to it, can smell it so they know what it is and it's WAY LESS PAINFUL. Pump or hand express just a little and then use a dropper. It won't give you a long term fix but it WILL Clear your baby up long enough and well enough to eat. Every time.

Way too lazy for formula