Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Seriously, how do babies survive nursing strikes?

Default Seriously, how do babies survive nursing strikes?

My 9 month old lo is going through a nursing strike right now. I know it's normal and temporary at this stage. It's still driving me nuts. He is not big on solids yet. His diapers are less wet than usual, as I would have expected. I wonder how do they survive with so little milk? I read that it can last for as long as 2 weeks. How can they even make it with so little to drink?
    Some facts:
    I've been nursing lo on request, usually every 2-2.5 hours. Recently he is not willing to nurse for less than 4 hour intervals! Even when he does latch on he takes a few sips and would not have anymore! Arggggh!
    He doesn't take a bottle. He hasn't figured out how to drink from a sippy/cup yet.
    He has been drinking much more at night when he's not fully awake. I figured it probably is a growth spurt so I let him drink as much as he wants. Am I encouraging reverse cycling this way? Will this ever stop?
    I can't nurse him walking around. He doesn't like to be held horizontal when I'm walking. He wants to see everything around!
    Dark and quiet rooms do not help.
    I'm a sahm.

Default Re: Seriously, how do babies survive nursing strikes?

They survive by eating in their sleep. They won't protest or refuse in their sleep. ANd usually will nurse when sleepy. So if your child is still napping at least twice a day, with 2 naps and the end of the day and wake up that is 6 sessions a day and then you add in a couple dream feed in the middle of the night and that is ENOUGH.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*minigingerbread View Post
    He has been drinking much more at night when he's not fully awake. I figured it probably is a growth spurt so I let him drink as much as he wants. Am I encouraging reverse cycling this way? Will this ever stop?
    It sounds like you and baby have already figured out how he'll survive the strike...increased nursing when sleeping. You can keep offering when he is awake but really take advantage of the naps and nighttime and waking up nursing opportunities. Try napping with baby, so he can just nurse throughout the nap. Nurse down and up. Do you cosleep? If not, you might want to try that at night while the wakings are more frequent--good way to make sure you are still getting some rest.

It will stop and don't worry about the reverse cycling. Most likely, and as with all things breastfeeding (and baby related in general), this too will pass!

I got through a 5 month long nursing strike by nursing my daughter during naps and sleep, like DJsmom said. She wouldn't nurse if she hadn't fallen asleep yet but during her naps and in the middle of the night I could get her to nurse. Also I pumped and gave her my milk in a bottle, but I was already pumping due to milk removal issues and if your baby can get enough milk without your pumping that is definitely the easiest way to feed him.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.