Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Weight Gain Questions

Default Weight Gain Questions

Hi Ladies! First I want to say YAY!!!! I MADE IT TO THE INFANT FORUM!!!!!!!

So, I'm not worried, but a little curious about my son's weight gain. Since I started back to work last week, I've pumped every 2-2.5 hours and typically get between 2.5-3.5 ounces per session. Before this, I assumed i had a lower supply due to my son not gaining or pooping for the first few weeks postpartum. I supplemented a bit, but was able to get him off of it. Now, we're only on breastmilk.

I'm assuming because of how much I'm able to get while pumping that my supply is far more normal than previously thought (yes, yes, I know... i should have listened and trusted you guys more than I did). But, my son still isn't gaining as much as he "should", if 4-7oz per week is average. He's gained about 11oz since Oct 17th. On that date he was in the 88th percentile and now is in the low seventies. Any thoughts? He was 3 months yesterday. All diapers are wet, usually most saturated in the morning. He's been pooping consistently every six days. We have started cosleeping. He's latched almost the entire night after work. I really don't know what to do. I def don't want to EP to ensure adequate consumption, but don't know if he's transfering enough milk. No pain from latch, though nipples are sometimes blanched.

Any thoughts? Again... not worried... just curious....

Default Re: Weight Gain Questions

If he wasn't tranferring and you were home until this point your suply would have taken a hit. The fact that you are pumping that much means that all is well. And anything from 3.5-14oz a week is considered normal.

Way too lazy for formula

If my math is correct, he's gained about 10oz in approx 31 days... which is a little less than 2.5oz/ week. Could he just be a really inefficient nurser? He is a lazy/sleepy nurser. I will rub him, try breast compressions, switch sides, talk to him, blow air on him... but he typically will still fall asleep. I will just keep him at the breast and when he wakes next, he will continue to nurse. He would literally do this all day long. I typically refer to him as a grazer. I AM relieved to know that his weight gain isn't a supply issue. That is a huge relief, but at the end of the day he still isn't gaining enough. Or is it enough? In between feedings he is typically content (in those rare instances where he allows me to put him down), he's not lethargic, he's reaching milestones... he's just not gaining.

He was a big baby... 10lb 11oz, and is right at the 15lb mark. He isn't little... I'm not worried about him withering away to nothing, but he should still be gaining... Is it possible that I get more from a pump than he does when he nurses? I know everyone says that baby gets more, but is that always the case? My supply as indicated by pumping output does tend to be lower on Mondays than it does on subsequent workdays.
    Last edited by @llli*alilwest; November 18th, 2012 at 01:33 AM.

But how old is he? Based on your math here I think he's gained 5lbs in 3 months. Is that right?

Way too lazy for formula

Yes, you're right. He got down to about 9lb 13oz, so, yes, he's gained about five lbs overall.

So more than a lb a month?

Way too lazy for formula

A lot of it was gained during months 1 and 2. Less than 1 lb during the last month.

What does that mean? Were you not breastfeeding in months 1&2?

Way too lazy for formula

i was breastfeeding, but had to supplement. Month 1, i was supplementing with formula after about 2 weeks of baby not gaining or pooping when solely on BM. Month 2, i cut back on formula supplement, but still supplemented with about 6oz of BM daily. Now, I don't give any supplement, but weight gain has slowed down. i have the milk, but it seems like he's not getting it. Previously, you recommended we cosleep... and we have since started doing that (finally got DD out of our bed so DS could be with me). we also nurse almost nonstop in the evenings between 430-10pm. If I can pump about 3 ounces every 2 hours during work, i would think i make at least that in the mornings at home with him, and maybe a little less at night...

also don't forget, standard growth charts can be misleading because they include both formula & BF babies. compared to their formula fed counterparts, BF babies will gain faster in the beginning, then taper off and slow down (mine was 50-75th percentile up to 2 mos, then 25-50th percentile at 4 and 6 mos).