Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Any one take Reglan to up supply?

Default Any one take Reglan to up supply?

I'm about 3 oz short every day, and my LC suggested that maybe I should give reglan a try. I have tried the fenurgreek (3 pills, 3x a day) and that has not helped me. I'm burning through my freezer stash and really don't want to go to formula. I am also dealing with a 3 mo old that is starting to want a faster flow, and I've always had a slow let down....she's getting use to the bottle now. This past weekend she was mad nearly every time after only 5 minutes of nursing! I'm open to any suggestions.

Default Re: Any one take Reglan to up supply?

Can you find a bottle nipple with a slower flow to it, so she stays used to slower-flow? Sometimes, with use and washing, even the slow-flow bottle nipples seem to become faster.

To help baby get the milk she wants faster, you can try using breast compressions. Gently squeeze your breast, back near the chest wall, to help encourage the milk to come out. If you're squeezing so hard that it hurts, you're squeezing too hard!

All medications have some side effects, and precautions. Reglan is actually a medication for reflux-type issues, a side effect appears to be that for some mothers, it increases their milk supply. Here's a link to the prescription medications most commonly used to increase a mother's milk supply. http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/...actagogue.html

And here's a link about increasing your pumping output, with many different options. http://www.kellymom.com/bf/pumping/p..._decrease.html

Neither of these links are from LLL, but both have very good information.
    Shannon
    LLL Leader

Protect your privacy online; don't use your full name. Click My Alias at the top left corner.

I'm horrible at html and encoding links, so I apologize in advance for all the long links!

Default Re: Any one take Reglan to up supply?

I had a serious supply problem with my firstborn. The reglan made my post-partem depression a little worse. I used fenugreek also. They have a tea, too, called Mother's Milk that tastes like licorice and is supposed to help. I also drank warm drinks when I nursed and it's important to relax! I had to supplement from time to time with formula and I hated my body for betraying me like that. I had to pump several times a day just to help my supply, and had the same problem with nipple flow. I"m sorry you're having this trouble; I do understand what you're going through. I've had an overabundance this time around, I tell everybody I prayed too hard for a good supply! Good luck!
    Last edited by SouthernSAHM; November 20th, 2006 at 09:14 PM.