Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleeping through the night.

Default Sleeping through the night.

How long is a reasonable length of time for an 11 week old baby to sleep at night? My DS doesn't sleep much during the day, (little short 3 min naps a few times) but he sleeps really well at night. He's been slow weight gain, (very healthy, meeting milestones early, active and alert). Because of that I was waking him up every 2-3 hours at night to eat, and after a while he started to naturally wake so I quit setting the alarms. Now he's starting sleeping longer again, easily for 5-6 hours a night. I wake him up in the morning and he empties both sides, and then nurses again maybe an hour later, but I'm just concerned that my milk supply might suffer from not nursing more at night? We co-sleep so I'm available all night, he just doesn't ask over night. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Sorry this post is so long!

Default Re: Sleeping through the night.

At 11 weeks, 5-6 hour sleep stretches are pretty common. They're generally nothing to worry about, since the body has a good internal clock that allows you to make more milk when it's required (i.e. during the baby's waking hours) and less when it's not (at night). But if you have a concern about the baby's weight gain, there's no harm in waking him more often! I'd probably take a wait and see approach- if his wright gain slips after he's been sleeping through, you might need to start waking him again. If not, yay!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you very much for replying! More sleep for me, yay!!

just forgot one thing: when a baby sleeps long stretches at night, there's a good chance that mom's fertility will return. So if you've been relying on breastfeeding to provide birth control, now if the time to start using an additional form of contraception- or to decide that you'd be okay with closely spaced babies.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"