Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: when did your toddler started STTN?

Default Re: Poll: when did your toddler started STTN?

How is 'through the night?" being defined? 5 hours, 8, 12? once in a while, every night, usually, etc? And what if the toddler wakes, but just to nurse and goes right back to sleep? Does any waking at all create a situation where the child is not "sttn"?

My 6 year old goes to bed at 8 and gets up at 6:30. 10.5 hours. He usually wakes at least once at night to use the toilet and have some water. Sometimes he likes me to come rub his back to get back to sleep, other times he goes back to bed all on his own. Is he sleeping through the night?

My 5 month old usually goes to sleep at around 8 and does not really wake on her own again until 6ish. That's 10 hours! Not in bed though, we keep her with us and hold her, not because we have to, but because we want to... (last baby!) But at 11ish when we go to bed we wake her up (and how) changing her diaper because we usually have to or risk a wetting overnight. And she nurses several times overnight-I do not keep count...maybe 3 or 4? She stirs, I nurse her, she settles. Is she sleeping through the night?

My oldest, now 9, had the shortest sleep stretches as a baby and a toddler. I really don't know when he started regularly sleeping more than 5 hours at a time, not until past his third birthday, several months after his little brother came, but he has never had sleep issues and is wonderful about bedtime and sleeping well all night and has been for years.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    How is 'through the night?" being defined? 5 hours, 8, 12? once in a while, every night, usually, etc? And what if the toddler wakes, but just to nurse and goes right back to sleep? Does any waking at all create a situation where the child is not "sttn"?
    Well put, meg. My ds is 18 mo. He falls asleep while nursing and bring read to around 10 oclock. He stirs two or three times a night but quickly nurses back to a deep sleep. He's a light sleeper in the last two hours and nurses more often then but he sleeps til nine. So that's usually eleven hours that I consider STTN. If he's teething badly or sick he wakes up way more often and wakes up completely if he needs medicine in the middle of the night.

First of all, thank you all who contributed to the thread. It's helpful to hear what others experiences are like.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    In my mind, for a child above 1 year old, STTN is 10+ hours on a consistent basis (of course all bets are off when they are sick, teething, etc), that require no parental intervention. Definitely no nursing.

Not that there's anything wrong with cosleeping and nursing on demand at night (which I'm doing now) or helping the child go back to sleep in a different way if they are already weaned. But both my husband and I would like to reclaim our bed for ourselves in some not-too-distant future and I'm trying to see if just waiting for our DD to stop night-nursing all by herself is realistic if we are to sleep without being kicked and punched and woken up all night long every night for months and months to come.

I think it's really hard to predict - every child is different. My DD did not self wean at night until she turned 3 years, when her younger sister was born, and that was WITH a lot attempts to night wean. But when she decided she was ready, it happened pretty suddenly. DS was much sooner, before he turned 2 years, but we did night wean. But there are plenty of children for whom it would much sooner.

But to be nitpicky, it's not clear to me that either of my kids are actually STTN according to your definition (especially my daughter). My daughter still wakes up regularly to pee (either because we wake her for a "dream pee" or because she has an accident), and my son still occasionally wakes up in the middle of the night or really early in the morning.

One of the things to keep in mind is that it's actually not physiologically normal for anyone, adults or kids, to sleep 10+ straight hours without at least partially waking. You're going to be a lot more sensitive to those night wakings when you're sleeping right next to your child than when you're sleeping separately. So what you're looking for may be less about STTN/night-weaning than about your bed configuration.

Sorry, I think this is coming off a little preachy - not my intention!!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*manitobamommy View Post
    One of the things to keep in mind is that it's actually not physiologically normal for anyone, adults or kids, to sleep 10+ straight hours without at least partially waking. You're going to be a lot more sensitive to those night wakings when you're sleeping right next to your child than when you're sleeping separately. So what you're looking for may be less about STTN/night-weaning than about your bed configuration.
    You are really perceptive! Thanks! I feel like I'm stuck in catch-22: I just cannot (physically cannot, I get light-headed and nauseous) to nurse her in the rocker when she wakes up in the middle of the night, so I resort to cosleeping. I tried just staying awake while side-lying to move her to the crib once she is asleep, but I either fall asleep (fail!) or if I do manage to stay up, then I cannot go back to sleep.

I do wonder if being close to me makes her wake up more to nurse, but at the same time while she is still waking up 3+ times to nurse at night, I cannot see a way to move her to the crib. Ugh.

My DS (almost 3.5) went in phases, but didn't consistently STTN til he was almost 2 (about a month before he self weaned). My DD is almost 15 months, and still doesn't STTN most of the time. She will usually wake up 1x a night, though she varies when that is (anywhere from 1130pm-6am), and sometimes wakes up more than once. The times when she wakes up between 1130pm-1am are the hardest.