Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Breastfeeding at work

Default Breastfeeding at work

My son is now 4 months old almost 5 and currently i have been breastfeeding exclusively but had to start pumping when i returned to work. So far everything has been good however some of my coworkers have been talking about me behind my back and it gets me stressed. The main reason is because they feel like i get "special treatment" for pumping at work. For anyone that pumps you know its not really a holiday. Anyway, they keep saying that I shouldn't be treated special. I have to take my food in the room with me because i use my lunch break to pump. If anyone has any suggestions as to how to talk to my coworkers please help! I don't want to seem like a jerk but i do want to continue to do whats best for my baby.

Default Re: Breastfeeding at work

Other people may have different suggestions, but personally I would not explain; you're not doing anything wrong, and I'm assuming your supervisor is ok with how you're managing your time. If your supervisor has an issue, that's different in that explaining would be necessary. If it's just other people complaining, I would not acknowledge it; I'd be pleasant and keep doing what you're doing. Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mumtothomas View Post
    If it's just other people complaining, I would not acknowledge it; I'd be pleasant and keep doing what you're doing. Hang in there!
    Unless they are complaining to your face. In which case I would explain to them that you have a legal right to pumping breaks, and that you are sorry to discover that they are so interested in how you spend your breaks. If the behind the back chatter continues, maybe speak to your supervisor about it?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

thank you all for ur feedback. i wasn't sure if stress affects breastmilk or not

Hey there, I can totally see how this would get under your skin or even be hurtful. But whether or not you take the time and energy to address it, as opposed to ignoring it, might depends what kind of office environment you have. How much do you have to interact with these people? Is their behavior just annoying, or does it directly impact your work in some way? Do you do work closely together, or just pass in the hallways and breakrooms? If I were in your shoes, I would probably treat it like any other catty office gossip and ignore it. However if this were someone that I had to work closely with (like on a team project), then I might address it directly, one-on-one, in a respectful but firm way, not inviting their opinions but just stating the facts: that pumping breaks are necessary, you are committed to remaining productive to work, and stating your expectation that they be a supportive coworker/team member etc.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*teresastan View Post
    thank you all for ur feedback. i wasn't sure if stress affects breastmilk or not
    If it did to any major degree, the human race would never have survived.

Don't worry that stress will cause you to make "bad" milk. It won't. The only thing it might do is to make pumping and letting down for the pump a bit more difficult.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"