Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 3 month old nursing strike? What about supply?

Default 3 month old nursing strike? What about supply?

My LO turned 3 months yesterday and have been waiting for that 3 month growth spurt to hit but I've actually been dealing with the exact opposite. Two days ago he refused to eat for 7 hours during the day then ate a little before bed and slept for another 8 hours (without waking to eat). Yesterday and today I've been offering the breast every 2-3 hours and he'll eat for a few minutes (5-7) then pull off and refuse to get back on so I try the other side and he does the same. He's not real fussy or upset but keeps sucking in his hands so I try to nurse thinking he's hungry but he refuses. I've also tried giving ebm in a bottle which he also refuses. I'm trying to pump to keep up my supply but I worry that he'll want to eat after I pump and I won't have anything left for him. Has anyone been through this? Have any suggestions?

Default Re: 3 month old nursing strike? What about supply?

How's the diaper output been the past couple days? My LO is 4 months old now, and a few weeks ago she started with the distracted nursing thing, especially when she's over-tired. I've found that at those times, I basically have to take her into the bedroom and nurse lying down, and she usually does it no problem at that point.

Diaper output has been good so I know he's getting something but is it enough for him to thrive right now. I think part of it may be distraction like you said. I've tried dangling a toy from my mouth to keep him interested (yes, I am quite a site to see while doing this, lol) but that only works for a few minutes if I'm lucky. I haven't tried nursing while laying down yet. I have pretty large breasts (36f) so football hold has been the only successful position so far. I have already noticed a drop in supply so I'm willing to try anything at this point. Thank you for the suggestion!

He refused to eat for 7hours? Did he go 7hours without sleeping!?!

Way too lazy for formula

That day, he ate at 2:00pm and refused breast and bottle until 8:50pm that night. He was awake during that time, with 2 naps in between. After that feeding he slept until 5:00 the next morning without waking to eat. He never cried or fussed during the day, just sucked in his hands alot. That was Saturday (2 days ago). Yesterday and today he's been going 2 1/2 - 3 hours between feedings but not staying on very long. I'm starting to worry that something's wrong but he's happy as can be. I just don't know what to think.

I think what djs.mom was getting at was, have you tried dream feeding him?

I started doing that today so we'll see how it goes.

Any chance his ears are bugging him? Congested at all?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kdlsavoie View Post
    That day, he ate at 2:00pm and refused breast and bottle until 8:50pm that night. He was awake during that time, with 2 naps in between.
    So he went down for both of those naps without nursing?

Way too lazy for formula

Yes, he went down for both naps without feeding and never fussed about it