Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Day (Pump) Weaning & Cow's milk?

Default Day (Pump) Weaning & Cow's milk?

I am proudly still nursing my 15.5 month old. I am a teacher, and pump once daily at work to make milk for next day's day care (usually two 1.5-2oz bottles ~ that's really all she drinks at a time from her sippy cup). My demands are increasing at work, and it seems my milk supply is dwindling. We still nurse in the mornings before leaving for work, when we get home and at night (we co-sleep). She's about half way through teething 2 bottom molars, so I don't mind the nights (sometimes all night long ) and the weekends.

My question is, since I'm making less and less during the day at work, (sometimes only 45-60 oz total for both breasts), I'm thinking of day weaning. My daycare provider suggested mixing my milk with cow's milk as a way to introduce to her, and then gradually decrease my milk while increasing the cow's milk, so that she will be ready to have a sippy of milk while at day care. (I am on 3-week winter break; due to return Jan 7). I would be perfectly happy with her just drinking water through the day. Is it a "must" anywhere that kids be weaned to cow's milk? I'm not a big milk drinker at all, but her dad loves the stuff! If I do move her to cow's milk, what quantity throughout the day should she be drinking?

Thanks everyone in advance.

Proud mommy to
    Ava

since 9/3/11
    since 11/14/11
    and working on
    and more frequently!

Default Re: Day (Pump) Weaning & Cow's milk?

As long as your LO is still nursing 3-5 times a day, her needs for "dairy" are being met by you, and you don't need to offer animal milk. Drinking animal milk is an option for your LO at this point, but not a necessity. It's possible to meet a kid's dairy needs with other solids, whole milk cheese and yogurt being the most convenient source for a lot of families.

I wouldn't mix cow's milk with your milk unless you a) want your baby to take cow's milk and b) can't get her to drink cow's milk any other way. The storage guidelines for breastmilk are very different from those from other substances, so anything that remains unused in a mixed bottle probably needs to be discarded, and that means pouring your hard-won milk down the drain!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I agree with everything mommal said. One additional consideration, though, whether your daycare provider participates in the state or federal food program. If so, then you'll need a doctor's note if you don't want your LO to have cow's milk.
    First time mom to DS, born 2/21/2011.

due with #2 6/26/2014

Thanks for the info ladies!

Proud mommy to
    Ava

since 9/3/11
    since 11/14/11
    and working on
    and more frequently!