Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Starting BLS

Default Starting BLS

DD just turned 6 months the other day. Gave her some banana this evening...she sucked it, gummed some, and I think she swallowed a little bit. Made quite the face at one point, but seemed interested. I think, though, that it was just another thing to put in her mouth, that happened to taste good.
    One question I have...in Gill Rapley's book, she says it's ok to offer a few foods at once, and that we don't really have to give only one every few days. Anybody do this? We don't have food allergies in the family, and she's been EBF until now.
    FTM to Emmeline Talia, June 14, 2012, , trying to (she likes the ergo and the moby), and

Default Re: Starting BLS

I did. The food allergy thing didn't worry me too much.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Cool. We usually make curries or stir-fries or stuff all mixed, so I'd have to either make her something separate or start having meals of single food dishes...boring!
    FTM to Emmeline Talia, June 14, 2012, , trying to (she likes the ergo and the moby), and

I'd be a little cautious about curries and stir-fries. That's more than one or two or three foods mixed together- that could be dozens of different ingredients, some of which may be more highly allergenic than you're thinking. Soy sauce is a good example. I rarely make a stir-fry without it, and soy is a top allergen. And soy sauce also usually contains wheat, which is another top allergen.

My DH and I are botany nerds, so we've actually sat over dinner trying to puzzle out how many different plant families were in our stir- fry. I think the last time we did it, we got 7 distinct families for a relatively simple Kung Pao chicken dish.

When you're making a stir-fry or curry, you can always pull out small portions of the ingredients as you cook and simply steam them and offer those reserved portions to the baby. Not only safer from an allergy perspective, but also generally better for the baby because you're not serving her foods full of additional salt, sugar, and fat.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Aw, I forgot about the soy sauce...I don't do the cooking, my hubby does. Ok, we'll have to modify the stuff we use for sauces...I have a friend who's a chef who is doing BLS with her 3rd LO, so I'll find out what stuff she makes for dinner.
    Thanks for the input, BTW. Y'all are invaluable resources!

Also, not to pile on, but when we were starting foods with my DS, he often had a reaction to foods that wasn't a true allergy -- his cheeks would get bright red with tomatoes, certain cheeses, cinnamon or other spices, tangerines, I can't remember what else. Once in awhile, it seemed to even make his tongue itch. Mixing too many foods at once would make it difficult to determine what he was reacting too, and then avoid it in the future. Again -- it wasn't that he was allergic, but it was mildly distressing to everyone, and too many ingredients mixed together may confuse the picture.
    Ellen

Mama-surgeon;
    DS Ethan 12/16/2008
    Breast fed/pumped 11 months as a surgical resident, 80 hours a week at work
    DS Abram Daniel 12/20/2012
    Feel like we've gotten a strong start