Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nearly Continuous Feeding of 1 week old

Default Nearly Continuous Feeding of 1 week old

Hello All!

I just had a few questions, I thought I would get out there an get some feedback.

I have a one week old son, who is fantastic, btw. I am bf exclusively, but had some latch problems in the beginning, with cracked and bleeding nipples from days 3-5. They have resolved over the past two days. Since they have resolved, however my DS want to nurse continuously, he has frequent wet diapers and stools, so I'm sure he is getting enough milk. He is also feeding the entire time, I can see him swallowing and when I take him off to burp, there is milk in his mouth. I have tried to swaddle, burp and walk around with him, to see if he is just upset, but he will suck his fingers and root and cry. I am thinking that he is just trying to catch up some of the weight that he lost. But, as this is my first, I wanted to get some other opinions.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, I have just camped out on the couch with a book, my laptop, and snacks. (Which, I have to admit, has been kind of a treat )

Default Re: Nearly Continuous Feeding of 1 week old

It sounds like he is doing just fine. Realistically, you can expect it to be this way for several more weeks, so reload your snacks and have a few extra books on hand, and enjoy!

Sounds pretty normal! I am doing that a lot with my 5 week old, a little hard since I also have an 18 mo old, but we manage! I have noticed that my husband can sometimes settle her if I really need a break, but if I am holding her she only wants to eat. So we go with that!

Welcome to the boards, and congrats on your sweet new baby!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*hemoncmama12 View Post
    I have just camped out on the couch with a book, my laptop, and snacks. (Which, I have to admit, has been kind of a treat )
    As the pp said, expect this to be your routine for the next few weeks. Eventually, he will go longer between feedings, but right now it is totally, totally normal for a baby to want to eat non-stop. Your body is building it's supply, and will be basing it on his cues, so you will only make things better by camping out and nursing. You are doing a great job, mama.
    DSD (15), DSS (12), DS1 (10), DD1 (8), DS2 (2), and a new little bean on the way in May 2013.

Totally normal. I read multiple novels while nursing my first newborn. I was disappointed when all of a sudden, at around 5 months, she suddenly started getting all the milk she needed in just 5-10 minutes or nursing. That really cut down on my reading time!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Normal. Keep your nursing station stocked and the phones and remotes close.....

Way too lazy for formula

Thanks for the feedback ladies!

congrats! this is totally normal and like pp said you can expect this for several more weeks! You will get really good at doing things with one hand lol My daughter is now almost 11 weeks and she stopped wanting to constantly nurse probably around 4 or 5 weeks but still quite frequently.