Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anyone has easy success stopping nursing to sleep?

Wink Anyone has easy success stopping nursing to sleep?

My darling LO is 9 months and we are happily BF - I love it and I'm so proud I've made it this far given my rocky start.
    The issue I have is that every nap time and sleep time is a real mission for us.
    She won't nap unless she's on the boob and sometimes this can take up to an hour, there are tears and tantrums and she's on and off the boob a few times before she nods off.
    We nap the same time every day and shes tired - she's rubbing her eyes, yawning etc etc.
    I'm beyond exhausted - she feeds anywhere from 4 - 7 times at night and now over the last week she needs to stay on the boob to nap!!!
    I love BF but I just need some help - any easy ways to ease her off?
    We are co sleeping but starting her in her crib tomorrow.
    She has a cold right now and teething but she's been like this since birth.
    I feel like a zombies zombie!!!!

Default Re: Anyone has easy success stopping nursing to sleep?

Will she fall asleep in the car? I wonder if you could drive around when she starts getting tired and then sit in the car while she naps?

Are you planning on nursing her to sleep and then putting her in her crib? Have you tried Ibuprofen for the teething?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I will say that I had "easy" success stopping nursing to sleep with both of mine, but it was at 20 months with Lilah and 22 months with Trixie. Much easier with Trixie than Lilah. Daddy took over bedtime. Is that an option in your house? Could you nurse your baby and then your DH walk/rock/comfort your baby to sleep?
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Hi Tanpixie!

We're in the same boat. Take a look at my thread in the sleep forum. Teaching her another way to fall asleep really really requires dad's help -- he rocks her to lullabies after I nurse, followed by a story. We're making some progress, though there are tears. But the tears are (somewhat) tolerable as long as I know she's in her dad's arms and he's patting her down in the crib. Honestly, I wouldn't try to put her to sleep like this myself until she's much more used to it.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Thanks guys - I think the nursing and daddy taking over is a great idea, I'm so tired, I don't think I've slept longer than 3 hours in about 5 months.

I don't drive unfortunately!