Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: When to begin feeding on demand

Default When to begin feeding on demand

At my baby's 2 week check-up, we found out she has surpassed her birth weight and her diaper output seems great. Can I begin feeding on demand or should I still be setting my alarm to feed her every 2-3 hours? My pediatrician wasn't available that day so I met with a nurse instead and she said I could let her sleep a little longer at night, but she wasn't very clear. I've read conflicting things online so I wanted to see what you ladies had to say about this. If I can begin feeding on demand, does that apply to day and night? I've been confused the last couple of days on whether I should wake her from her naps during the day to feed or wait for her to wake up on her own.She will be 3 weeks on Sunday.

Thank you!

Default Re: When to begin feeding on demand

on demand, unless she's not demanding 10-12 times per day, in which case you'll want to wake her to make that many times.
    DS1 6/7/11
    DS2 10/29/13

Nursing, pumping, cloth-diapering, babywearing, working professor mama with the awesomest SAHD ever.

Don't be afraid to allow one longer 4-5 stretch at night, but if baby is sleeping longer than that I'd wake her.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I was told by the lactation consultant at our follow up visit a few days after birth that as long as you make sure the baby is eating every 2-3 hours during the day, you can go for a 3-4 hour stretch at night, or whenever she wakes up and wants it. Not that my DD has done many 4 hour stretches, lol

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carm3 View Post
    I was told by the lactation consultant at our follow up visit a few days after birth that as long as you make sure the baby is eating every 2-3 hours during the day, you can go for a 3-4 hour stretch at night, or whenever she wakes up and wants it. Not that my DD has done many 4 hour stretches, lol
    This advice sounds right.

Way too lazy for formula

So now that my baby is almost 8 weeks, I was curious if the day time feeding still applies. Sometimes she'll want to eat before 3 hours, but there are times when it has been 3 hours since her last feeding and she isn't showing signs of hunger. I've been feeding her anyways after 3 hours even if she seems content because I'm not sure if she should be eating. I always feed on demand, but curious if I should feed her after a certain time even if she seems content?

At 8 weeks I think you can feel free to follow baby's lead, as long as her weight gain is good. However, it doesn't hurt to continue to offer more frequently than baby seems to want, and it may help: tanking up on breastmilk during the day may mean fewer feedings at night, anwhen you have a rapidly growing and very young baby, erring on the side of caution is a good thing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

At 8 weeks, she's probably pretty good at telling you if she's hungry or not. It's completely natural to follow her cues. Starting to wake, sucking sounds, sucking hands, little cries. It may have only been an hour. It may have been 3, but she knows when she's hungry. You two will fall in sync. Enjoy it!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and