Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Time to discard oldest milk?

Default Time to discard oldest milk?

My oldest frozen milk is from early October. It moved on dry ice, successfully, to another city. It's about to move again from a temporary housing freezer to our new home. I'm pumping really well right now thanks to a hospital grade pump and an awesome Nanny who doesn't overfeed* In fact I'm pumping at work and sometimes needing to freeze right away because some days I get ahead and there's enough fresh milk in the fridge. I'm thinking about discarding the October milk, but kellymom.com says frozen is ok for 6 months. Should I just hang on to it? I am asking because we are traveling to Calgary in January for 4 days. Day 1 is travel, I will nurse. Day 2 I am working and will need to bring frozen milk. I plan to pump on Day 2 for day 3 and provide fresh milk. Day 4 is travel, I will nurse. Long story short, rule of thumb is to use oldest frozen milk, but I don't like the idea of relying on Oct froz milk for that trip. Maybe the answer is to bring freshly frozen.

*We haven't had a Ped appt since 4 mos - weight gain was awesome. Nanny has been w/us 2 full work weeks and DD is now 5 mos and not due for checkup till 6 mos - hopefully weight gain is still great.
    Last edited by @llli*debbers; December 15th, 2012 at 08:05 AM.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

Default Re: Time to discard oldest milk?

Early October is less than THREE months old. I would definitely use that. Not toss it. But I think you should have some opportunity before the beginning of Jan. Don't you pull Frozen milk out every Monday? For your 1st day back? Use it NOW. Like after this weekend.

Way too lazy for formula

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Don't you pull Frozen milk out every Monday? For your 1st day back? Use it NOW. Like after this weekend.
    Nope. The hospital grade pump is so incredible I pump enough at work on Friday for Monday.
    The first time I see us needing to take frozen is for the trip to Canada in January. That's my concern. In the event it did not fare well in 3 different freezers over 3 months I don't want that to be all we have on day 2 of the trip when I'm working in an office and DH is caring for DD all day as well as evening.

I think what djs.mom is suggesting is to freeze the milk you pump Friday, and on Monday thaw the oldest frozen milk that you have. That way you refresh your stash while still giving DD fresh milk most days of the week. So, for example, freeze the milk you pumped yesterday. On Monday use that milk from October. Then you have freshly frozen milk from December that you can use next month during your trip.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    I think what djs.mom is suggesting is to freeze the milk you pump Friday, and on Monday thaw the oldest frozen milk that you have. That way you refresh your stash while still giving DD fresh milk most days of the week. So, for example, freeze the milk you pumped yesterday. On Monday use that milk from October. Then you have freshly frozen milk from December that you can use next month during your trip.
    Bingo.

Way too lazy for formula

This makes sure that you always cycle out the oldest milk and the never waste a drop.

Way too lazy for formula

Also happy to hear that you've found a good nanny and that you're getting such great pump output with the Symphony! (Just read your other post about that too).

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Also happy to hear that you've found a good nanny and that you're getting such great pump output with the Symphony! (Just read your other post about that too).
    Thank you. With her milk needs and caretaker needs successfully resolved I'm not even stressed about the final - and biggest - leg of our relocation. I'm just focused on loving our sweet little angel. I feel so fortunate to have her in my life.