Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Milk blister?

Default Milk blister?

Hi,
    Yesterday I noticed my right nipple feeling a bit sensitive while nursing and this morning saw my right nipple has a white area...looking online I think it's a milk blister or blerb? My baby is 8 weeks old and the night before the pain began I let her and I sleep for 7 hours, so was thinking this extended period without nursing could account for the blockage.
    Any tips on what I should do? I have been trying to loosen it up with warm washcloths.

Thanks for any help!!

Default Re: Milk blister?

yep sounds like a milk blister, aka a bleb. Those hurt! Hopefully you can get it cleared up quick. Some moms get something slightly different, called a friction blister. But those are more typically redish with no white.

Some olive oil on a cotton ball in your bra can help, and probably would feel good. The more I hear about coconut oil the more I think that could be great as well, but I have never seen that suggested for a bleb. It is suggested by some IBCLCs I know for sore nipples.

More: Dealing with Plugs and Blebs: http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf

Thank you! I started the Epsom salt soak. I hope it will resolve itself. Wondering if anyone has had them, and how long they last?

I've had a bunch. They often crop up when the baby's latch is a bit off- like when baby is very young and has a tiny mouth, or when baby is starting to teethe.

Wen I had a bleb, it usually lasted a few days. But I always had to pick at the bleb with a sterile needle to get it to break. I don't know how long the blebs would have lasted if I hadn't been willing to take that route.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! Today it looks like it is going away. I've been doing the Epsom soak and warm washcloth compress, nursing, and using the Motherlove nipple cream, which contains olive oil. It's no longer white, so I'm thinking it's drained.

As for cause, it could be a slight latch issue, baby girl does have a teeny mouth and not the deepest latch though she transfers great. Hopefully the will improve as she gets bigger. I surmised it was maybe a buildup from an extended period of not nursing, as this was also cited by kellymom as a possible cause.

I appreciate this forum soooo much! Thanks ladies!