Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: decrease in milk supply and my menstrual

Default decrease in milk supply and my menstrual

OK so just a couple of days ago I noticed a decrease in my milk supply. I have returned to work so I've been pumping 3 times throughout the day at the same time each day. I usually can pump out about 14 - 15 oz between the hours of 8 - 5 even after pumping before work.

Just yesterday I stated my period for the first time, my baby is 13 weeks almost 14 weeks and I wonder if I have decreased because I started my period. I am only pumping out 8 oz now during my work hours and am not able to keep up with my daughter. Is it going to increase again when my period stops or am I slowly drying up? Has this happened to anyone? Please help.

Also I thought that I wouldn't get a period if I was breastfeeding. Please help!!

Default Re: decrease in milk supply and my menstrual

Lots of women start their periods while still breastfeeding, especially if you are away from baby during the day or if baby sleeps long stretches at night. And it's totally normal to have a dip in supply right before or the first few days of your period. It usually only lasts 3-4 days. Some moms can eat oatmeal on those days and get a little extra supply boost.

Can I just say, that is an AMAZING pumping output! How much is your daughter taking while she is away from you during the day?
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

It's common for there to be a temporary drop in supply with menstruation. Some mamas notice it at the time of ovulation, some right before their period. In my experience the supply drop usually lasts for a couple days, maybe 2-3, then picks up again, and it doesn't happen with every cycle.
    There's a lot of variability in when BF'ing mamas get their periods back. 14 weeks is definitely on the early side but not impossible! Is your baby sleeping a long stretch at night? That can often be a trigger. And then as baby starts to have more night awakenings you may find that you don't get your period for a couple months again.

At Still.here...........Thanks for the reply....

She is a hungry monster at daycare for some reason. But she is eating anywhere from 16 - 20 . well at least that's how much I take. I don't know for sure if that's how much she actually eats as opposed to how much she spits out onto her shirt.

How much are babies her age supposed to be eating? I feel like a first time mom but since she is breast fed and my other one wasn't I can't know for sure how much milk she actually drinks from me,

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    It's common for there to be a temporary drop in supply with menstruation. Some mamas notice it at the time of ovulation, some right before their period. In my experience the supply drop usually lasts for a couple days, maybe 2-3, then picks up again, and it doesn't happen with every cycle.
    There's a lot of variability in when BF'ing mamas get their periods back. 14 weeks is definitely on the early side but not impossible! Is your baby sleeping a long stretch at night? That can often be a trigger. And then as baby starts to have more night awakenings you may find that you don't get your period for a couple months again.
    She has actually been sick for the past month, with congestion and the cough (bronchiolitis) we are now waiting for test results from an RSV test but She wakes up about every 2 - 3 hours and feeds from me. Idk if this also has to do with my period coming so soon.

It's probably more related to you going back to work than sleeping at night. Unfortunately stimulation from the pump doesn't have the same effect as direct nursing as far as holding off your fertility. And even direct nursing isn't a sure thing.

The general rule for how much babies eat is 1-1.5 ounces for every hour they are away from mom. A baby that young shouldn't be taking more than 2-3 ounces at a time, maybe 4-5 occasionally during a growth spurt. How big are the bottles you are sending? And how many do you send? It's very possible they are overfeeding her, as most day care providers are more used to formula fed babies who eat 6-8 ounces at a time.

Here's an article about how much milk babies need and one that would be great to share with your day care providers about how to bottle feed a breastfed baby.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

I will take a look at that article a little later thank you for sharing. At home she doesn't eat anywhere close to what her baby gram says at daycare. I usually send 4 - 4 oz bottles usually I get one back that's not eaten.

I've mentioned to them before she doesn't eat like that at home, they said they try to give her her paci but she just continues to cry. I think she isn't really happy being at daycare with all the extra noise, she sleeps through noise here as I have an older son who is very loud but she usually still tests good naps in. I'll have to talk to the lady again and tell her to hold off feeding her so much.

So will my milk increase after a couple of days?

Yes, it should go right back up. The dip is hormonal. Your baby might want to nurse more frequently during those days to boost your supply, if you let her it nurse as needed it will bounce back up more quickly.
    --Anonymous

You might try breaking it up into a few 2-3 ounce bottles and a couple of 1-2 ounce bottles. If the feeders are forced to stop partway through and fix another bottle it might give her the break she needs to realize she is actually full. Milk flows more quickly from a bottle so they drink faster and tend to drink until it's gone, but it doesn't always fulfill their sucking need (which is why a paci can sometimes help). You might also check your nipples to make sure they are slow flow and not worn out. If you put water in the nipple it should drip out at about a drip per second.
    --Anonymous