Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Symptoms of a second pregnancy...

Default Symptoms of a second pregnancy...

Hi Mamas....

I am wondering if I may be pregnant again...Once AF came back 14 months PP it was coming every 18 days. Once 3 cycles had passed I assumed that it was my regular cycle (I was previously on a regular 28 day cycle) and so I avoided sex around the days I suspected ovulation (7-12)...but this past month I did not get my period by the 18th day...I took a pregnancy test once I was at 20 days but it was negative and now its been 28, almost 29 days and I'm not sure what to do...The only "symptom" I have is feeling tired and VERY irritable but I have been going to bed late and working a lot. I may add that I began getting acupuncture and I'm wondering if this may have changed the length of my cycle? Also, I noticed I am peeing more often but this may just be me being paranoid. One other symptom I noticed is that last week right when I was expecting my period on the 18th day I noticed a huge difference in vaginal discharge. It was thicker and milky. I thought i had a yeast infection but I barely had any irritation/itching...

Not sure what to do or what other mamas experienced during their second pregnancy. My husband and I werent really planning #2 yet so I am stuck somewhere between fear/worry and joy...For my first I was planning the pregnancy and immediately "felt pregnant" even with 2 negative pee tests and a blood test confirmed the pregnancy. Any advice???

Default Re: Symptoms of a second pregnancy...

Well if you havent tested a second time yet I would test first thing in the morning. It is possible, but being that you have only had 3 cycles since you started back, it could just be your body regulating its self again and the symptoms could be your paranoia ... I tend to get similar symptoms when I am worry I may have messed up my days

Yea you are probably right! I think I may wait another week before retesting because then it will be considered really late even by my old standards!

Turns out I am pregnant again :-) and now I have a ton of questions!!! I know I don't need to stop nursing but I don't want t be nursing while pregnant...then again, I don't want to abruptly wean my DS so any helpful but gentle weaning tips would be great. Also, is there any way my DS can sense that I am pregnant? Starting from last week he has been increasingly fussy and clingy...he has also been nursing on and off a lot but seems frustrated with the whole experience and in the past few days willing nurse for a few minutes despite acting desperate prior to nursing...guess it could be teething? Any advice would be great! We weren't quite ready to have #2 yet but we are both very happy and optimistic about the new baby :-)

Congrats!!

I know a lot of mom's nurse through their pregnancy and tandem nurse as well

I have never nursed while pregnant, mine are 5 years apart, but I have heard lots of mom's say that their supply decreases around the second trimester and some say their toddlers self weaned as the supply decreased.

I am sure there is a board here for nursing while pregnant or tandem nursing, I am new here though so still learning my way around!

Congratulations! It is very safe to nurse during pregnancy. Some moms find it uncomfortable, and some moms have their milk dry up and their children naturally wean. My son gradually weaned around 18 months when I got pregnant with my daughter when he was 13 months. He started nursing once a week, and then just slowed down. He asked to nurse again after she was born, I think to make sure that it was still okay. And so I let him, and he rarely asked again. Maybe once a month. It can really help the transition of the addition of a new sibling.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

I have such mixed feelings about it. I am in the Health field (alternative healing and Chinese Medicine) and I always learned the the priority is the youngest baby and n this case it is the one growing in my belly... I know my DS isn't stealing nutrition from the new baby but I don't feel it is right for me to continue nursing him while I have a new baby. This isn't a judgement of others who chose to do so, I fully support their choices and don't believe there is a right or wrong way but for me personally I feel it is best t wean. The problem is that I have so many feelings of guilt especially because I wanted to only begin weaning around 2/2.5 years (and, again, this is a surprise pregnancy) so I feel sad to end our nursing relationship so much earlier...also, my son LOVES nursing and because I'm still home part time it's both hard and painful to have to distract him from nursing. I have no attempted to wean our usual morning/AF/night nursing sessions but he is a snacked and enjoys 2-4 other nursing a sessions wether he wants to rest or cuddle and I feel so sad to give those up....what does do??? For me this is really a moral conflict and I don't know what is the right answer. I know in asking in a LLL forum I risk being told to stop whining and suck it u and nurse but I ask to not be judged, and for no one to project any of their own passionate views or philosophies on me but to lend me as objective advice as possible....

No judgement at all. I seriously cut my son back due to anxiety while nursing during a pregnancy. I do have a little guilt, but everything was as gentle as possible. I really feel like maintaining a nursing relationship, even if it is down to 1-2 times a day can help ease the transition to sharing mama with a new sibling. You need to do what is best for your family. We can just offer our personal experiences.
    Lyn
    Nursing the girl with kaleidoscope eyes

Mama to Daniel (12/3/06) and Lucy Jane (8/28/08)

Congratulations on your pregnancy! How old is your son now?

Regarding your earlier question, sometimes they can tell a difference when mom is pregnant. Hormones can alter the taste of your milk and if you start drying up, which is relatively common during pregnancy, of course they notice that.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

My DS is 17 months and I'm only 5 weeks pregnant...I have serious doubts my milk is drying up. It actually seems like its exactly the same and I'm wondering if he is trying to increase supply because he seems to want to nurse every 2 hours now. The problem is he really has been acting so clingy and fussy...it drives me nuts and it makes it hard to distract him from nursing and. Honestly could use the break from what seems like constant whining these days. I don't know how to reassure y son that I still love him dearly and that everything is OK, but with this new tiredness and constant whining I feel like I'm losing my sanity and starting to wonder how in the heck I will manage this and a newborn a few months down the line :-/ I really just need hugs!!! Thinking about just letting things run their course. In a few months I will be starting a full time job and therefore on really ave morning and evening nursing a and perhaps it will have out naturally (which is what I would really prefer).