Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help with reclined nursing

Default Help with reclined nursing

Ds2 seems to be struggling with oald. some feeds he seems to manage the flow ok, but other feeds he really struggles to stay afloat. Usually he will gulp like crazy for a couple minutes and then he will either pull off and freak out, or settle in for a decent nursing session. Once he freaks out, it is almost impossible to get him back on and settled. I'm struggling because some days like today, almost all of his feeds ended badly. his poops are all green and watery, and he just seems unhappy. I try to keep him above the boob, but he still struggles. Ive been almost exclusively nursing in the football hold, and I try to do it while leaning back, but it doesn't seem to help.

My other question is if it is possible to have oald without oversupply. Cause I don't have a lot of engorgement or leakage, but I can clearly see lo struggle with my letdown.

He is a big baby and is gaining well. 8.10 when born, 9.7 at 2 weeks, and I think he's at least 10 pounds if not more now at 4 weeks (dr is in a few days). he's generally mellow but he's getting fussier as he seems to be struggling more.

Default Re: Help with reclined nursing

While it is possible to have fast letdowns without oversupply, I'm guessing you still have some oversupply going on. That would explain the green poops and the fact that you still have some (?) engorgement. If you had fast letdowns without oversupply, you'd probably rarely or never feel full/engorged, and your baby's poops would likely be yellow rather than green.

Does your baby take both breasts at a feeding, or just one? And how often would you say you feel full or engorged?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I only feel full or engorged overnight, I lo goes a really long time without feeding on one side. I do sometimes get the tingly letdown feeling randomly during the day, but nothing leaks. Occasionally when I letdown while nursing, the other side will start leaking.

I try to feed mostly on one side per feeding, but sometimes if he can't handle the letdown on one side, I'll switch him and he'll do better on the other side. But sometimes he just ends up gulping down a short fast stream from each side, which is what I'm trying to avoid. I just don't know what to do when he's clearly hungry but just can't deal with the milk flow.

I think ffld can happen without huge overproduction. My babies and I have managed to handle my ffld with nursing very frequently, nursing reclined, and taking baby off if the milk is coming too fast and then putting baby back on.

Did you need specific tips for nursing laid back? What is happening that it's not working for you? The thing to remember about laid back positioning is that you can adjust it as needed. You can be reclined as much or as little as you like, and baby can be in any position at all.

here are several souces for info/pictures of laid back nursing

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/

http://cwgenna.com/quickhelp.html

https://breastfeedingusa.org/content...-breastfeeding

see the picture of baby 'supported at the side' in this last one. That is the closest to football hold I can find in a picture. If you really like football hold, I have seen moms do that in a more or less laid back way. One idea is, sit on your couch and scooch your bottom forward so you are in a 'couch potato' position, with shoulders, neck and head supported against the back of the couch. Put pillows right behind your lower back, so you are well supported but there is some space to your side for baby. bring baby to the breast more or less as in picture, adjusting as needed.

Thank you- that last link is very helpful. My biggest problem with reclined nursing is that I find it very hard to have any hands free to deal with my toddler. I have been having some success today with cross body positioning. I feel like ds2 doesn't deal well with the fast flow, but he also gets frustrated when it slows down. Is it possible that because the milk is spraying into his mouth, he is not really learning how to get milk?

He made it through the let down today a few times and got comfortable, but as soon as the milk really started slowing down, he got frustrated again. This is still so confusing to me!

He made it through the let down today a few times and got comfortable, but as soon as the milk really started slowing down, he got frustrated again. This is still so confusing to me!
    Are you insisting baby stay at the breast for a certain length of time? Maybe he is just done. If you have oald, baby gets a lot fast. He may just need another form of comforting, need to burp, maybe?

This video shows how nursing laid back can facilitate mom having a hand (or hands) free. http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/v...n3clip.htmlYou just have to find the positioning that works best for you and get the hang of it. There is no getting around the fact that life with a newborn and a toddler feels like we need a third or even a fourth hand! Laid back also frees up legs, and yes I have entertained and redirected my kids with my feet.

Also I did not/do not usually have to nurse the whole time laid back. I adjust as needed, including standing up and running across the room to break up a fight with baby attached.

No, I am totally fine letting him eat as long or short as he wants. But for example today- he ate super quickly and I could tell a lot for 2-3 minutes - he was overwhelmed but managed to stay on the breast. A few minutes later he was boobbing on and off the breast and really sucking and seemed to be upset he couldn't get anything fast enough. The old me would have immediately switched to the other side - but i tried to persevere and kept trying to put him back on the same side. But he seemed really frustrated, so I did switch him, and he ended up eating a fair amount on the other side (3-5 minutes past the initial let down, which is a long time for him). I guess he was just hungry...I was just under the impression that if i did have too much milk he wouldn't really empty the breast.

I totally hear you about using your feet! Today it actually crossed my mind to pick up a dropped piece of watermelon with my foot (my older son freaks out when he drops his food)...

Just want to add that since yesterday, I have been really trying to keep him to one side per feeding, and make sure that side is done before switching him. I have also been working on reclining more. His number of poops has gone down, and his last 2 poops have been nice and yellow . he has been eating a lot more often, but it seems we are getting somewhere.

That's great! Just be cautious with the one sided feedings, since you can go too far with it and end up with a supply that is too low. You may eventually find that you only need to do one sided feeds during certain parts of the day, since milk supply fluctuates over the course of the day. I found that I needed to use just one side during the mornings, but by evening I often needed to use both breasts.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

bumping for another question--

I am having a really hard time determining when I should nurse the other side during a feeding. DS often fusses when the milk comes too fast, but there are also times when he fusses and it seems as if he is not getting milk. I am not sure if this is because the breast is empty, or because he is just used to the milk spraying into his mouth and not having to work for it. Some feedings, he will actively suck for a good 7 minutes and then start comfort sucking, those times, I know he has gotten enough and is done. But in the feeding we just had - he was actively sucking for about 5 minutes, and then pulled off and started fussing. I burped him, and tried to latch him back on a couple times but he was not having it. I assumed he was just full because I could easily express some milk with my hand, and I heard DS swallowing when he was sucking. If I saw him sucking but not swallowing, and was not able to easily express some milk I probably would have switched him to the other side. Is this a good way to tell if there even is a way to tell?

He as been very fussy at the breast lately and I can't make heads or tails of if it's too much or too little milk. I know its normal that the amount of milks changes throughout the day, but one feed he'll seem to be drowning in milk, and the next feed struggling to get milk.

ETA: I have also developed some nipple soreness very recently, mostly on one side. He's also a lot fussier in general. I was thinking maybe thrush, but it feels more like chafing or irritation from him bobbing on and off the breast and clamping down to try and stop the flow of milk. He is also just about to hit 6 weeks so more fussiness is to be expected.

All this uncertainty with nursing really just drives me bananas. I feel like I am always second guessing myself.