Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: If we have thrush, should I avoid pumping?

Default If we have thrush, should I avoid pumping?

My LO is 6 weeks old and has thrush. I have been BF her but I want to introduce the bottle. Should I wait? Will I infect the pump or milk?

Default Re: If we have thrush, should I avoid pumping?

You can pump your milk. It's my understanding that you have to clean the part of the pump that touches your breast with a vinegar/water solution but I'm not sure of how to mix it. I know you are supposed to boil pacifiers and nipples that have been in the mouth of a baby with thrush, so maybe you can boil that one part of the pump to kill the thrush? Also I was told that if you pump while you have thrush, not to freeze the milk, as it may have yeast organisms in it and freezing it will not kill the organisms. Hope that helps...darn thrush!!!!

Thanks for your response. But is it okay to give the milk I pumped for the day? Regarding the thrush, if Nystatin does not work, what's next? And is does Nystatin have any side effects?

It's perfectly ok to feed the baby the pumped milk. The nystatin solution we had for DS worked well for him, but the nystatin cream didn't really seem to help me at all. I think because I wasn't vigilent about putting it on after every feed. I had to get a dose of Diflucan and after a few days I started feeling better, but I kept using the cream as well. I was told by my dr that the nystatin liquid I was given for DS's mouth MAY cause stomach discomfort...and he was extra fussy while on it, so who knows if it was the medicine or the thrush...cause thrush can cause gassiness/fussiness as well. I'll say it again: DARN THAT THRUSH!!