Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Sleep and Breastfeeding difficulties.

Default Sleep and Breastfeeding difficulties.

Dear mamas,
    I've been "reading" the forum since my son was born in September and first of all I want to say thank you for the advices I got here.
    A little bit about us. My son is 3 months old today and we EBF. Up until a week ago I thought we had a wonderful "routine" established. He was nursing every 2 hours during the day, was going down for the night at around 9pm, dream feed at 12am, long stretch until 3.30/4am. Everything drastically changed last week with no apparent reason. Now he eats every hour and a half during the day and wakes up every 2 hours through the night. He is also very distractible during the day and will often pull/relatch many times. His nap times were also pretty much defined before. The longest at 11am for 1,5/2 hours and another long one at around 4pm, for an hour. Now he will only sleep on me ( I use a sling or a wrap) and wakes up after 20 min max.
    At first I thought it was a growth spurt, but can they last more than a week? Also he started teething I think, buy can that change his whole routine?
    I am sorry for the long post. I will appreciate any input. Thank you.

Default Re: Sleep and Breastfeeding difficulties.

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

The only thing that is constant about babies is that they change all the time. Just when you think "At last! We're in a nice routine, I know what to expect-" BANG! The baby changes everything.

At this age, there are many possible explanations for your baby's altered sleep/eat patterns. A growth spurt would be one, and yes, they can last for a week or sometimes more, depending on the baby. Teething or pre-teething would be another. Distractability would be yet another- it tends to start around 4 months but your baby might just be advanced in that department. Distracted babies often pull off, look around, go back to nursing for a few seconds, pull off again, look around, etc. A change in milk supply is another possibility: most moms start out overproducing milk but eventually milk production adjusts to meet demand very precisely, without a lot of extra left over. When that adjustment occurs, babies often change their nursing frequency. And finally- well, not finally, but this is the last thing I can think of right now- babies tend to change their sleep habits as they master new physical skills. A baby who has begun to roll or to squirm or to crawl will often do those things in his/her sleep and will wake up startled by an alteration in sleep position or because he/she bumped into the crib railing!

So, basically: normal. Do your best to roll with it, because it's unlikely to last. As my mom says, "By the time he gets married, it will pass."
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Re the distractibility thing ... totally normal, and it might stick around for a while. My LO started the acrobatics at 3 mos and it still continues (at 7 mos). I got a nursing necklace and it really helped to curtail some of the popping on and off. It gives them something to look at and keep busy hands occupied, but close enough to the breast that they can stay latched. (It's also good for redirecting twiddling and pinching behaviors.) You can make your own nursing necklace by stringing some of his toys onto a ribbon, or you can buy one like Teething Bling or Mommy Necklaces made from sturdy childsafe materials.

Thank you ladies for you replies! That's what I thought, everything that is happening to us is very "normal"
    I will just have to adjust myself. Oh and I'm getting a mommy necklace! I have noticed that he is always looking for something to play with and I was giving him my fingers.
    Peace and Happiness.