Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help feeding 5 day old please!!!!!!!!!!! Stressing out

Default Re: Need help feeding 5 day old please!!!!!!!!!!! Stressing

I would just like to add that if your wife is bringing the baby to the breast at all, you need to be really careful about products containing vit. E. Make sure it is either completely dry before baby nurses, or wipe it off...it can be toxic to baby.

She hasn't given up by any means.

It's just a matter of getting her nipples to heal enough to be able to get baby back on. In the mean time she's going to pump to feed and keep her production up. Her nipples haven't had a chance to get better since we got the latching perfected. Baby had a poor latch at first but we got that figured out but the skin hasn't had a chance to rebuild due to such frequent feedings.

We understand that this isn't the most preferred method and BF would be the best choice all the way around but the pain is just too much at this point. I have a feeling the high level of pain is also preventing a good let down and thus causing feedings to have to be more frequent.

This really is the last thing she wanted to do. She is very determined to get baby back on the breast though. We were given a list of lactation help when discharged but they are an hour away so she'll start making calls.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carm3 View Post
    I would just like to add that if your wife is bringing the baby to the breast at all, you need to be really careful about products containing vit. E. Make sure it is either completely dry before baby nurses, or wipe it off...it can be toxic to baby.
    Thanks for the advice

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    Two things, 1st she should be TOPLESS all day long
    Not an option at this point

If mom is able, I strongly suggest keeping the baby at the breast part-time. As little as one or two nursing sessions per day may help the baby retain her desire and ability to latch on and suck. Breast refusal due to bottle preference (a.k.a. nipple confusion) is often a problem with babies who get lots of bottles very early on, and you don't want to add that complication to the situation if you can help it.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

She is very determined to get baby back on the breast though. We were given a list of lactation help when discharged but they are an hour away so she'll start making calls.
    thats great. just be aware, hospitals are notorious for giving out really outdated local contact lists. Unless someone at the hospial has taken it upon themselves to keep the lists updated, what you are given from may be out of date. I live in a well populated area with several breastfeeding assistance options or programs, and I have seen moms given lists that are 10 years old, which have nothing on it but the names of a few Leaders or LC's who have long since retired or moved away.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    If mom is able, I strongly suggest keeping the baby at the breast part-time. As little as one or two nursing sessions per day may help the baby retain her desire and ability to latch on and suck. Breast refusal due to bottle preference (a.k.a. nipple confusion) is often a problem with babies who get lots of bottles very early on, and you don't want to add that complication to the situation if you can help it.
    That's our plan at this point. She's pumping today and going to try and do everything to get the tissue to repair to a point she's not writhing in pain. Then back to the breast.

So far she's having good results with pumping.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    thats great. just be aware, hospitals are notorious for giving out really outdated local contact lists. Unless someone at the hospial has taken it upon themselves to keep the lists updated, what you are given from may be out of date. I live in a well populated area with several breastfeeding assistance options or programs, and I have seen moms given lists that are 10 years old, which have nothing on it but the names of a few Leaders or LC's who have long since retired or moved away.
    We've found that out with a few of the numbers.

OK, if you are in US, try the ilca website I posted above. any LLL groups around, any breastfeeding USA groups around, local breastfeeding coalitions? You should be able to get info for any of these easily online.
    If you are on WIC and even if you are not, they can possibly be a good resource. Many WICs do offer lactation assistance, and, depending on the funding, some also can help non WIC.

Also re check with your hospital or hcp. I have seen mothers discharged from hospitals that have very good outpatient lactation clinics, pump rental opportunities, etc, and the discharging mother is never told a thing about it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    OK, if you are in US, try the ilca website I posted above. any LLL groups around, any breastfeeding USA groups around, local breastfeeding coalitions? You should be able to get info for any of these easily online.
    If you are on WIC and even if you are not, they can possibly be a good resource. Many WICs do offer lactation assistance, and, depending on the funding, some also can help non WIC.

Also re check with your hospital or hcp. I have seen mothers discharged from hospitals that have very good outpatient lactation clinics, pump rental opportunities, etc, and the discharging mother is never told a thing about it.
    Will do. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Medic1 View Post
    I have a feeling the high level of pain is also preventing a good let down and thus causing feedings to have to be more frequent.
    I doubt it. Your baby's stomach is the size of a grape. And breastmilk is almost completely absorbed into growing organs and tissues. It completely NORMAL for a child to be literally attached to their mother all day long the 1st 6-12 weeks. 10-12 feedings in a 24hour period AT LEAST with the child staying on the breast for 30-6o minutes at a time. Especially in the beginning.
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*Medic1 View Post
    Not an option at this point
    Why Not? She's home isn't she? Why can't she be topless at home so her breasts heal as quickly as possible?

Way too lazy for formula