Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reflux? OALD? Gas?

Default Reflux? OALD? Gas?

Hey ladies! I had wanted my next post to be my birth story, but my "easy" baby is changing on me! We dealt with some pretty severe silent reflux with my first and I was so happy that this time seemed different. Now I am not sure...here are the symptoms, so ladies, help me with a plan of action, or tweak what I am currently trying.

painful crying - usually evenings (which I just associated with his fussy time) but now it's during the day and mornings too
    stiffening legs
    spitting(massively) up if fed more than one side at a feed
    arching back(not all the time)
    painful hiccups
    wet burps
    sounding like he aspirated something

a couple of other things I think may be unrelated, but here goes:
    painful passing gas
    painful straining bowel movements
    NO constipatin though.

My plan as of now is to recline nurse, allow let-downs to spray into a towel, burp frequently, cut back caffeine and chocolate. I am already only feeding one side per feeding - he started that all on his own. We don't go back to the Dr. until the 17th of this month. So I don't know what kind of weight gain we have, but he is growing out of his newborn stuff slowly. I do feed on demand.

I am not thinking diet just yet, but if it is reflux, chocolate and caffeine aggravate it.

Thoughts???
    FT working momma to a 9/11/10 busy boy and 11/13/12 happy little man.
    Also wife to hubs since 8/23/08, bonus momma to H (girl) -99 and G (boy)-03

Default Re: Reflux? OALD? Gas?

So at this point we are pretty sure it's not reflux... but most likely an OALD and passing gas and stools issue. Baby's discomfort with passing gas and stools seem to be the main culprit. Anyone have issues with this?

Yes, it's really common for young babies to have issues with pooping/tooting. Remember, until a few weeks ago your baby never had to do it- so figuring out those puzzling new sensations can be a pretty upsetting thing! OALD and oversupply can definitely exacerbate gas, but it sounds like you're already doing a minor form of block feeding (i.e. using one breast per feeding or for as many as several feedings in a row), you're reclining while nursing, and you're not pumping or doing anything to perpetuate the oversupply- so just keep on keeping on and this issue should pass.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

This sounds just like what I'm going through now. My first DS had reflux and milk sensitivity on top of my over supply and OALD. The doc's prescribed meds but we managed through nursing techniques, Colic Calm when needed, and cutting things out of my diet. I just had my 2nd DS on Nov 18th and thought things were going so well. He was so laid back, quiet, and nothing like my first. Well this week has already been rough and its only Tuesday. Could be the 3 week growth spurt, but here's whats going on with him (very similar to OP)
    - seemingly painful hiccups
    - cries when passes gas or stool (not all the time, but frequently)
    - seems to snack at the breast- will eat, then want to eat again in 20/30 minutes. toward the end of the feed he acts like wants to nurse but arches away and cries
    - dribbles BM when being fed
    - hard to get down for naps during the day

I read too much and am thinking silent reflux since he doesn't really vomit or spit up but sometimes it seems like something is going to come up and he swallows. I tried some Colic Calm with him last night and today and it seems to help but I dont know if its coincidence since that has been my last resort. Is it just my oversupply/OALD or reflux? Ugh- I feel your frustration OP. We had such a rough road with my 1st I was hoping this little guy would be a bit easier, but its not looking that way!
    Keegan: February 27, 2011
    6 lbs, 14 oz & 19 inches long

Brennan: November 18, 2012
    7lbs, 4oz & 20 inches long

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Yes, it's really common for young babies to have issues with pooping/tooting. Remember, until a few weeks ago your baby never had to do it- so figuring out those puzzling new sensations can be a pretty upsetting thing! OALD and oversupply can definitely exacerbate gas, but it sounds like you're already doing a minor form of block feeding (i.e. using one breast per feeding or for as many as several feedings in a row), you're reclining while nursing, and you're not pumping or doing anything to perpetuate the oversupply- so just keep on keeping on and this issue should pass.
    The only problem I have is that I need to pump enough milk for the first couple of days giong back to work in 2 weeks..I'm sure I can make it work with pumping enough for 1 day, but we need to start the bottle and I want my mom to have a day with him before I return to work. AND... I have a tandem nursing toddler - he is only nursing in the morning now, we have cut all other sessions at this point. I am sure that is not helping the issue. He is 4 weeks now, so I am hoping that in the next month or so this works itself out a little better.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*kakdoyle View Post
    This sounds just like what I'm going through now. My first DS had reflux and milk sensitivity on top of my over supply and OALD. The doc's prescribed meds but we managed through nursing techniques, Colic Calm when needed, and cutting things out of my diet. I just had my 2nd DS on Nov 18th and thought things were going so well. He was so laid back, quiet, and nothing like my first. Well this week has already been rough and its only Tuesday. Could be the 3 week growth spurt, but here's whats going on with him (very similar to OP)
    - seemingly painful hiccups
    - cries when passes gas or stool (not all the time, but frequently)
    - seems to snack at the breast- will eat, then want to eat again in 20/30 minutes. toward the end of the feed he acts like wants to nurse but arches away and cries
    - dribbles BM when being fed
    - hard to get down for naps during the day

I read too much and am thinking silent reflux since he doesn't really vomit or spit up but sometimes it seems like something is going to come up and he swallows. I tried some Colic Calm with him last night and today and it seems to help but I dont know if its coincidence since that has been my last resort. Is it just my oversupply/OALD or reflux? Ugh- I feel your frustration OP. We had such a rough road with my 1st I was hoping this little guy would be a bit easier, but its not looking that way!
    I figured in my situation the easiest thing to treat was the OS/OALD, then food elimination (I am vvery leary to do this until we try other things), and then consider reflux. I opted for meds with my first, but really want to avoid that this go round if it is reflux.

Maybe you can treat the OALD/OS and then go from there? Good luck with it... it's really rough at times especially with a toddler. my saving grace is knowing that this too shall pass!!

Just curious, but has your LO been checked for tongue tie? The dentist that clipped my daughter's said that he's seen babies be able to stop taking their anti-reflux meds post frenectomy.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*carm3 View Post
    Just curious, but has your LO been checked for tongue tie? The dentist that clipped my daughter's said that he's seen babies be able to stop taking their anti-reflux meds post frenectomy.
    no I sure haven't as I assumed there would be a poor latch associated with it... ??

There's not necessarily signs of a poor latch (such as nipple pain) with a tongue-tied baby. This site has lots of good info about the symptoms http://milkmatters.org.uk/2011/04/15...eed-your-baby/

And this site has a great video showing how to identify a posterior tongue tie - they can be tricky. Make sure you check for an upper labial tie as well. If you're not sure, you can send pics to Dr. Kotlow and he'll give you an opinion. He's pretty quick to respond.

Good to know. We have an appointment tomorrow with his ped. I will see if she can diagnose that as well. There are definitely no obvious signs if a tongue tie though. I hate to say that would be a nice diagnosis if it can just be clipped and good to go.

An update on this: turns out the vitamins I was taking were affecting LO. I stopped taking them and within a day saw a difference. Also LO was not having bowel movements daily-although normal for bf babies, 3 weeks was a bit early. After a day with no vitamins LO had a blowout and has been popping one to two times daily since.
    Glad to have found the issue, although oald is stil. An issue it is a small one.