Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Have I sabotaged myself?

Unhappy Have I sabotaged myself?

My twins are 9 weeks old now, but we never got on a regular schedule to nurse. Because they were premature (by 4 weeks) and had respiratory issues, I was unable to get a proper latch on. They were given the bottled Similac in the NICU and to my dismay, a pacifier! My pumping schedule has been at the most 2 times a day sporadically (3 times a week). Is it too late at this point to try to nurse and establish a milk supply? I wouldn't mind bottle feeding them my milk either, but when I do pump it's not even an ounce with the milk combined from both breasts. I'm very discouraged at this juncture, but would appreciate any tips on:
    Setting a schedule
    Latching techniques
    How to increase my supply
    Etc.
    Please help!!

Default Re: Have I sabotaged myself?

It's not too late if you are still actually getting milk when you pump. Are you nursing at all? Or you are pumping maybe twice a day and feeding formula the rest of the time?

Way too lazy for formula

Definitely not too late. Milk supply can be increased at any time. And babies can come back to the breast at any time, though the longer they are on bottles the less likely it is that they will do so instinctively and easily.

This link covers getting a baby or babies back to the breast: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/

Increasing supply is a matter of increasing stimulation to and milk removal from the breast. The more often you remove milk from the breast, and the more completely you drain the breast, the more milk you will make. A mom who is exclusively pumping, particularly for twins, needs to use a good pump- a hospital-grade rental with correctly sized shields is ideal- and she needs to pump frequently. Start with every 2 hours during the day and every 3 at night if you can manage it- and yes, I know it's hard to maintain that schedule while caring for one newborn, let alone two!

With respect to scheduling, I know that twin moms often need to set some sort of a schedule in order to retain their sanity. However, rigid schedules can be the enemy of successful breastfeeding if they result in the babies nursing less often than they would if they were fed on demand. Milk supply is created by demand, and when demand is restricted then supply will drop. Yu've already experienced this: pumping just twice a day and not every day led to your supply tanking.

Now, i only have singletons so maybe my advice here isn't the best. But here's what I have read that moms of twins do, in order to encourage some sort of routine to their day whle also nursing. When one baby is hungry, they feed both babies, even if the other baby is napping or seemingly uninterested in nursing. Feeding the babies at the same time encourages them to synchronize their feeding routines.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Are you familiar with the book Mothering Multiples or this website http://www.karengromada.com/ ? She has lots of tips including tons of pictures of nursing positions. Another good book is Making More Milk. online, I think kellymom.com has the best supply increasing info.

For positioning and latching there are so many variables-any possibility you can see an IBCLC? Any local LLL near you? It would be great if you could get in person assistance. the article on encouraing nursing mommal linked is excellent

For latch specifics, in general I really like the laid back aka biological nurturing approach.
    some ideas

http://cwgenna.com/quickhelp.html

http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf

http://www.biologicalnurturing.com/video/bn3clip.html

Can you rent a hospital grade pump? Getting babies nursing is best, but while you are working on that, time to start pumping as frequently as you can manage with an excellent pump. If pumping every such and such hours does not work for you, instead you can try setting a goal (I will pump x times today) and pump as much as you can, marking off each session as you go. Don't get discouraged about how much you pump each time! this is a process. Frequent pumping will typically increase your production, plus you can try galactagogues if appropriate.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; December 8th, 2012 at 08:09 PM.

Sorry for the delay in responding ladies!

I'm currently only feeding formula. I never had enough milk to keep up with their demand and honestly, with one twin in the NICU and one at home, I didn't stick with regular pumping. I fell into this routine even since they have both been home.

@ djsmom- thank you for the advice. I'm currently only feeding formula, not pumping this week, but I've ordered my own new pump-medela pump in style advance.

@momal- thank you for the advice. I'm trying to maintain a schedule for them by feeding them at the same time. If I had enough stored breast milk, then I would gladly offer one baby a bottle of ebm and nurse the other. This is actually my goal! I'm just disheartened and angry at myself for not making this a priority. With the girls being preemies, we had difficulties with latching on and still do. I'm planning on going to a ll meeting next month in my area and see if we can get hands-on help there. They're both colicky/VERY gassy so that adds to my hurdles! I'm not a 'woe-me' personality, but boy(or rather...girl) am I in the doldrums here! My own pump should be here tomorrow and I'm going to pump after every feeding. We've gone to an every 4 hour feeding schedule, so now I have more time in between feedings.

@meg- thank you for the advice. I have the mothering multiples book, but just ordered making more milk. The links you all provided have indeed been very helpful! I ordered a medela pump; pump in style advance? Will this suffice? I actually had the Latina pump from the hospital, but unless I was doing something incorrectly, I didn't find it to be the most effective. I'm pretty well endowed, so I also got the XL shields.

Mama you have to pump. Now. If you have a pump even if it's not great you should be using it. every day. More than once a day. You can't read books and plan stuff in your head. This is definitely an ACT NOW sort of situation. Breastmilk is all supply and demand. If you don't demand it, It GOES AWAY. If you aren't feeding AT ALL and you aren't pumping, that mean your body doesn't think you need milk. It can not, be a casual thing. If you are serious you need to IMMEDIATELY start stimulating your breasts. EVERY DAY. MULTIPLE TIMES. You are already at the point that you make have to work to relactate. Which is WAY WAY Different than just Upping your supply. Because upping your supply means that your are making milk but you aren't demanding ENOUGH. Which is WAY different than not demanding ANY. So seriously, if you are serious about doing this, get on it. NOW. You really can't afford to wait. Milk supply is completely volatile in the beginning. HURRY.

Way too lazy for formula