Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lots of spit up!!!

Default Lots of spit up!!!

My DD is almost 5 weeks old and spits up after every feeding (often several times)- much more than my DS, so just checking what was "normal". The only time DS spit up this much was when we were bottle feeding him and then it was a case of over feeding. But DD isn't taking bottles. And I didn't think it could be oversupply, although I read some of that info and some of it might apply, but not all. I never spray or leak, but sometimes she coughs at the breast and sounds like she has stuff in her throat after eating that she's trying to get up. The amount she spits up isn't a lot, but the frequency is almost every time and sometimes it even comes out of her nose. She doesn't seem gassy or have trouble with stools. So is this normal? Thanks for your input!

Default Re: Lots of spit up!!!

How does she act before/during/after spitting up? Basically, spit-up that occurs without pain in a baby who is gaining weight at a normal rate is a laundry problem, not a health problem.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Default Re: Lots of spit up!!!

For the most part she seems to not be bothered by it, but at night she sometimes goes on for a while sounding like she's grunting and making uncomfortable noises- like she can't get something up. But she doesn't cry usually when it happens. The night thing bothers me more because I thought at first she was struggling to breathe, but really she just acts like she's working up a hairball! Lol! I have her sleep sort of upright in a bouncy seat in a bassinet next to the bed. I thought that would help. Anyway- to answer your question- she doesn't seem too bothered by it except at night.