Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Treating a cough in mama?

Default Treating a cough in mama?

It seems that illness is prevailing as I've seen numerous sick and breastfeeding threads this past week. One more to add to the mix:

We (baby and me--and now DH) have had a terrible cold this past week. As is the usual for me, once the initial symptoms start to lessen, I am left with a nasty cough. It seems to be worse at night and last night kept me and DH up for a good bit of the night (how LO slept through it is beyond me). Anyway....just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of ways to treat a cough that are compatible with BFing?

Thanks!

Default Re: Treating a cough in mama?

Honey. And Tumeric milk. Tastes pretty gross but works pretty well.

what worked well for me when I am ill and cough and have a bad cold is salt inhalations (put kitchen salt, if you have it dead sea bath salts in a salad bowl, add boiling water cover your head with a a towel and inhale the steam. YOu can add thyme to the salt. Or drink thyme tea with honey, bit watch it too much (more than 4 or 5 cups/day) can mess up your blod pressure. Or bathe in salt water, where I live you can buy dead sea salt bath additives but regualr salt will also be fine, the salty steam is good to loosen phlegm.
    And to help with the cough try lozenges from the pharmacy, I prefer honey or propolis or thyme, if you can buy the kind made with real herbs in a health food store but I avoid those made with no sugar and only artificial sweeteners if at all possible.
    Also stay away from sage in any form, it will reduce your supply, sage is powerful gainst cough but also within a short period will reduce milk flow.
    also what works wonders for colds in general is cut an onion in half and sit it by your bed side. Alternatively make onion tea . pur boiling water over an onion, let it sit for 10 minutes and add either salt or water to make it palatable.

Thanks for all the tips. Why do all the most helpful remedies have to be so horrible though???