Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some help northern mamas

Wink Need some help northern mamas

Alright. We are on a trip going from southwest louisiana to Alexandria, Minnesota to see my husbands grandparents. This southern mama is clueless on how to do a few thing so here we go . Question # 1 how do I keep my babies nose from getting stuffy. It's already day 2 and she is plugged up. Question # 2. What do I do with her and the snow? I can"t figure out how I'm going to feed her because she hates being covered and I'm going to be showing some skin doing it. Question # 3. Is a moby wrap warm enough to use instead of a blanket? We want to be able to go on walks and such but she will only ride in her wrap. I really don't want her to freeze.
    Wife to Jon - 1/07/2012
    Mum to Emmaline Grace- 10/4/12 7 ibs. 13 oz.

Default Re: Need some help northern mamas

1. A humidifier may help.

2. I almost never nursed my kids outside in the winter. Brrr! If they needed to nurse, I went somewhere warm where I could sit down! But if I knew I'd be out long enough that they'd need to nurse, I made sure to wear lots of layers- some that I could pull up, some that I could pull down. That way I could expose enough breast to nurse while still remaining covered.

3. A Moby may be enough, depending on the day. Especially if you keep baby's head covered with a nice warm hat. Basically, if you are comfortable outside in layers similar to what baby is wearing, then baby is okay, too. Just make sure to bring an extra layer with you, in case the sun slips behind the clouds and it's suddenly a lot colder.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Baby wearing coats are way too expensive for just one trip... but... they are great and keep babes very warm without too much layering. If you can, try to find a used one online.

Here's a link to mantoo but another brand is the M coat.
    http://www.mantoocollections.com/en/...aternity+coats

A cheaper option is to find a panel that you can zipper in to your regular coat.

http://paxye.com/blog/diy-babywearing-coat/

Have fun in the cold!
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

Wow I like those nursing coats! How cool! Makes me wish I still lived somewhere really cold. I live in N. California now, but I used to live in the midwest and mommal is right-temps can really vary-it can feel nice in the sun if it is still, but if a wind kicks up or it gets cloudy, you might want to head for the mall to do any walking.

Moby- you could wrap a blanket around both of you or drape it on baby over the moby.

Nice warm hats that cover the ears are really important for everyone.

If you are going to be actually sitting in the snow to nurse, I would be more concerned about a freezing wet ahem than any skin exposed for nursing-I have done that in the mountains here a few times and am grateful for layers including long underwear and my rainpants, which might be cheaper than snowpants and great for keeping dry at least. But I bet you could borrow snowpants.

I use an oversized coat, maybe if you don't have one you could borrow. Or find a decent one at a decent price. I zip it around baby in her wrap and myself and we stay bundled up while it's cold. If its big enough then you would be able to nurse while keeping it zipped up, unzip latch on zip back up.... Hope this helps.
    Mother of 3 beautiful girls, and expecting baby number 4 in July

Elisabeth ~ 9/25/07
    Eliana ~ 1/08/09
    Elivia ~ 1/22/12 ~ EBF

with all 3 still

I live in Canada, and there's no way I am going to nurse outside this winter. I don't know how cold it gets in Minnesota, but up here it can get to -40 celsius with windchill. I have a moby, but no coat big enough. I also have an ergo, and there are winter covers for that type of carrier (ergobaby has one, also a brand called chimparoo, but that might be canadian, so ?availability to you). The covers that zip into coats are cool, but you'd need to make sure the zippers are compatible.

Depending on the temp, maybe nurse the baby and then go for a walk?

For stuffy nose...humidifier and one of those nose suctioning things...I have a hydrasense suction kit, and she hates it, but it works.
    FTM to Emmeline Talia, June 14, 2012, , trying to (she likes the ergo and the moby), and

If she'll consent to having a scarf around her face, that can really help cut down on the sniffles from cold air.

This is all VERY usefull information as I am heading to my Grandmothers in Washington for Christmas !

Did any of you ladies bring a stroller or use one while you were out, or just keep baby bundled up close to you ?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lkuhn View Post
    This is all VERY usefull information as I am heading to my Grandmothers in Washington for Christmas !

Did any of you ladies bring a stroller or use one while you were out, or just keep baby bundled up close to you ?
    Hi Mama -- I'm in Canada too. We haven't yet used the stroller this winter. I really like how we keep each warm when she's bundled in the ergo inside my coat. Also, even with bunting bags I couldn't imagine strolling her against the wind -- her poor little face!

One tip is to wear a tighter fitting turtleneck. It keeps your neck warm and allows you to peek down at baby much better than a scarf.
    Mama to Viv since 4/08/12 -- my all natural post-breast cancer miracle baby

with just one breast. So far so good.

I wouldn't nurse outside in the winter, just go inside and nurse.
    I took my daughter out for Moby walks with extra socks on, a hat and socks/mittens on her hands and then zipped my coat over her.
    I've never used a stroller other than the jogging stroller for runs. The Moby should be just fine.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.