Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Cracked nipple, breastfeeding 10 month old

Default Cracked nipple, breastfeeding 10 month old

I am currently nursing my 10 1/2 month old about 4 times a day.
    Last week I noticed a crack under the right nipple which made it very painful to nurse. The crack still hasnt healed and i cringe every time my baby latches on. Now I see I have a small one on the left side as well, which is also painful. I don't have any other symptoms of thrush and my baby hasn't bitten me either. It looks more like the skin is dry and it cracked. I live in a warm climate so I don't think it could be dry skin either. What is this and what do I do??

Default Re: Cracked nipple, breastfeeding 10 month old

When pain and cracking occurs after months of trouble-free nursing, thrush is a common cause. Dry skin would be very consistent with thrush. I think I'd talk to your doctor or midwife about treatment.

Any reason why you're nursing so infrequently? 4 nursing sessions per day is on the very low end for such a young baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks, I will call my dr tomorrow... Regarding nursing infrequently, I was under the impression that nursing 4 times a day was normal for a 10 month old (almost 11 months). My son eats full meals (the same food as we do). I would be happy to nurse him more often but he's very active and will only sit still and nurse first thing in the morning, before both naps and before bed. He is sleeping through the night as well since about 9 months so our nursing schedule has been about the same since then. What is the average amount of feedings for a baby his age? With my previous child I remember I was nursing her 4 times a day at a year and then dropped a feeding every month until she was fully weaned by 16 months.

Here's how I understand it: until a year, it is advised that babies receive most of their calories from breast milk or formula, with solids only "complementing" (American Academy of Pediatrics wording) breastmilk or formula, not replacing them. That's because breastmilk is the ideal food for supporting infant growth. It has the perfect balance of nutrients, to say nothing of the immunologic components. You cannot replicate that perfect balance with solids, especially not when you consider the erratic way most babies eat them. Most breastfed babies require about 8 feedings per day in order to get most of their calories from breast milk. A few will nurse less often than that, and many will nurse far more. My girls were both nursing at least 12 times a day at 10 months, and continued to do so until around 15 months when they started to eat a lot of solid foods.

So does this mean you should change what you're doing? I personally think so. I'd want to nurse at least 6-8 times a day until 12 months, at which point I'd feel comfortable allowing weaning to proceed at its own pace. But that's ME, not YOU! What you do is up to you. I'd say "talk to your doctor" but most of them are woefully under informed about breastfeeding and can't be relied on for good advice.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

That's interesting... I really had no idea that I should be nursing more. I doubt my dr would have any opinion one way or another. My problem is that I can't actually get him to nurse more. I've tried in a dark quiet room and he just gets too distracted. The only thing I can think to do is nurse when he wakes up from his naps as well, but he's not the best napper and will often sleep less than an hour, which means the feedings are only about an hr apart, 2 at the most. Just a side note, from about 4-6 months he did not gain any weight, besides a few ounces (he was born 8.11 and was about 16 lbs at 6 months).. Around 6-7 months I started giving him solids and now he weighs about 24-25 lbs) my theory is that he got to distracted to nurse properly and was not getting enough calories from breastmilk. He ate much better sitting up in a highchair and being able to see what's going on. I have no idea what I could have done differently.

Distractable babies are a real challenge. And I think it's pretty common for babies who have distraction issues to get into solids a lot more quickly than the ones who really enjoy long, relaxing nursing sessions. After all, playing with solids can be a lot more fun than nursing! So I don't think you should feel bad or guilty about your baby going to 4 nursing sessions per day. But if you can get your LO to nurse more, that would probably be good.