Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Help and advice please!!

Default Re: Help and advice please!!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jaxmcc View Post
    Thanx. What I do when he doesn't take the second breast, is start the next feed on that side. I take it that's the right thing to do, sometimes he will take it, other times not. At this time of night, like now he goes between the 2. Fingers crossed I don't have any problems with supply in the future x
    My son ALWAYS took booth breasts, he was a big eater.

My daughter many times would only take one breast, or I would latch her on to the other and she might nurse for a minute and fall asleep.

I did 1 of 2 things. 1. I just started with the second breast the next time.

2. when my supply started getting out of control I would pump the other breast while she was nursing, then when I switched her over she was at the very least getting hind milk for the minute or 2 that she stayed awake on the other breast. I liked this way better because she would sleep for more than 15-30 minutes between the feedings

Haha me too! It's a mad dash to the bathroom at times x

Thanx for the advice. My little man sleeps well at night, through the day can be a different story. It's like he likes little ad often, filling up for night time

Can someone give moe more info on reclined feeding positions? I have been reading up on over supply of milk and fast letdown and this seems to be what's happening for us. I have done a few feeds on my side with baba in bed beside me which has helped, but would be grateful for any other tips xx

You could try laying back against some pillows, mostly reclined, with baby laying on your belly- almost tummy to tummy.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Does this fast letdown settle with time? I'm now convinced this is the main problem I am having at the moment. I tried the reclined feeding today, it helped a little but little man still started coughing and spluttering part way through the feed. Feel so sorry for him, it can't be enjoyable. Thankfully not all our feeds are like this though.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*jaxmcc View Post
    Does this fast letdown settle with time? I'm now convinced this is the main problem I am having at the moment. I tried the reclined feeding today, it helped a little but little man still started coughing and spluttering part way through the feed. Feel so sorry for him, it can't be enjoyable. Thankfully not all our feeds are like this though.
    If he is not arching his back, crying and refusing your breast, don't worry about it. Most babies dealing with OALD either freak out or learn to cope. If your baby is someone who learns to cope he will probably begin to "pop off" in the weeks to come and he also may begin to click. These are signs that a child is learning to both anticipate and deal with OALD. And yes eventually is does just fix itself. For me it happened around 4.5 months. I still had OALD and abundant supply. But the baby was bigger and had been dealing with it since birth. So it no longer overwhelmed him. He stopped popping off and clicking all on his own.
    Another position that seemed to help us was one where we would sit in a chair and the baby would be in more of a sitting position at the end of my boob. So he'd be like sitting up in my lap with his back in the corner of the chair. That way he seem to cough and sputter less and in that position he began to pop off. Because it put him in much more control.

Way too lazy for formula

thanks for that. He does occassionally pull himself off, I then burp him and we start again. He does frequently make the click sound, and I had been assuming he wasn't latched properly so would take him off and do it again poor little man, was just adjusting himself! I take it its best just to leave him making the clicking if I am sure he is latched on properly?

They click when you have OALD because when they get lower they can use their tongue to block the spray. It's noisy! But effective.

Way too lazy for formula

As long as the clicking isn't associated with a painful latch, let baby click away.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"