Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help and advice please!!

Default Help and advice please!!

Hi all new to the website and hoping someone can help me.
    My soon is almost 7 weeks old and he is exclusively breastfed and we are having a few problems. Its hard for me to compare with my Daughter as she was fed expressed milk for 6 weeks before she was able to latch on (prem baby).
    Ok here goes. He only seems to feed for 10minutes at a time and the first bit of the feed he really gulps, makes a lot of noise and is swallowing really fast. Having read some of the other posts do you think this could be to do with a fast letdown? He is very sleepy when feeding and never seems to take a full feed, ive tried all sorts to stimulate him and encourage him to feed more but nothing seems to help. He feeds ver frequently through the day, sometimes only sleeping for half an hour then wanting more feed. I am finding this really frustrating, and this was very different to how my daughter was when she did eventually latch on. I'm a bit concerned that he may not be getting to the hind milk, as i always seem to be able to get milk from my breast. Sometimes his poos are yellow in colour, other times they are more green, is this normal? Could really do with some help about what I can do to try and get him to feed better and go longer spells between as at the minute I am finding this very difficult to keep up and manage a 5 year old at the same time, it's becoming very exhausting but i dont want to give up. thanks xx

Default Re: Help and advice please!!

Also, should have mentioned. During a feed he latches on great initially, then we start to get the clicking noise. I take him off and re-latch and the same thing happens. Also during the feed (usually later after a nappy change!) he sucks but more like he would suck a dummy? I'm never sure if he is feeding properly or not. He was 6lb 4oz at birth and now weighs 9lb13 so obviously is getting enough.

Welcome to the forum! Everything you describe sounds pretty normal, and since your baby is gaining weight so nicely I think you can safely say that you have the basics of breastfeeding down, and all you may need to do is tweak some of the fine points.

A lot of what you describe sounds like fast letdowns could be a component of your nursing experience right now. Your baby feeds pretty quickly for such a young baby, he clicks, and some of his poops are greenish. All of those things can be related to fast letdowns. Are you noticing any of the following:
    - Breast frequently feeling full or engorged
    - Strong letdown sensation
    - Lots of leaking
    - Baby chokes, coughs, gags, or splutters while nursing
    - Baby pulls off the breast while nursing
    - If baby pulls off while nursing, milk may stream or squirt from the breast
    - Baby "slips up" onto the nipple or "clamps down" on the nipple while feeding

It's awesome that you pumped for your first kid for 6 weeks, and then got her to latch. That was really well-done on both your parts! Because you pumped for the first 6 weeks with your first baby, the frequency and intensity of your newborn's demand is probably surprising to you- but it's also normal. A lot of nursing moms spend their first 3-6 weeks, sometimes longer, camped out on the couch nursing, nursing, nursing, and then nursing some more, because new babies often need to nurse every 90 minutes or so, or even more frequently. If you just are patient and continue to feed on demand, your LO will grow out of this phase and will probably space his feedings out to a more reasonable interval. But if the sleepiness is frustrating you, you might want to try some of the following to get your baby to take larger feedings less often:
    - Keep him cool. Cool babies are more alert. So when it's time to nurse, strip him down to a onesie, and keep a fan blowing in the room where you nurse.
    - Annoy him. Annoyed babies are more alert. Tickle the soles of his feet, or rub against the grain of his hair, using your hand or a cool damp washrag.
    - Keep the lights dim. New babies sometimes close their eyes in response to bright light.
    - Do breast compressions to increase milk flow to the baby.
    Finally, be aware that none of the above techniques may result in longer intervals between nursing sessions. 7 weeks ago your baby never knew hunger or discomfort or cold. The only way he knows of to fix those problems is to nurse, and to cuddle up close to you.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for the speedy reply, its very reassuring at times when you doubt yourself!

Yes I do experience some of the above, particularly the coughing, choking when feeding, slipping and clamping on the nipple (makes it a funny shape), leaking especially if I dont get him latched on quick enough and coming out of the shower etc and my breast do feel full particularly at night time and early morning.
    It's reassuring to know that this feeding pattern is normal and should settle with time, I can go with it for now,although between 5-11pm are very difficult. For example tonight, my Lo has been awake from 5.30 - 9.15pm, feeding on and off, winding, had bath, just seems to constantly want to nurse. My supply isn't low but he just takes small sucks here and there! I do hope this settles as I really want to continue and nurse him as long as i did with my DD which was 13months. It's just a bit tough at the moment with a husband at work and looking after a 5 year old.
    Is there anything I can do meantime to help with the fast letdowns? I have tried all of the above with regards to stimulating him but to no avail, guess I will just have to try and ride it out and hope things improve.

The first thing to try for fast letdowns is reclined feeding positions. They enlist gravity to slow the flow of milk, and that can make nursing more comfortable for the baby. If that isn't enough, you may want to contemplate doing a bit of block feeding (i.e. using one breast per feeding or for more than one feeding in a row). Many moms do some one-sided feedings in the mornings or wee hours of the night, when milk tends to be more abundant.

It's totally normal to have a period of fussiness and cluster feeding in the later part of the day and into the evening. You're lucky that your baby will nurse during this period. A lot of kids scream inconsolably during the evening fussy time! Both of mine did.

How's your 5 year-old handling the transition in the house?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Quite often i do just feed from one breast at a feed as he never seems to empty the breast and feeds for such a short time. Lol it's amazing how you forget all the wee bits about feeding isn't it. My little girl is coping quite well, enjoying having a baby of her own, but not liking so much how he takes up so much of mummy's time. We just keep reassuring her that it won't always be like this and reminding her that we had to do this with her too. I did feed our little man lying down through the night and this morning which seems to have been more succesful. we didn't have any choking incidents or coughing bouts. I'm just trying to relax and enjoy my little man for now and accept everything as being normal and stop worrying! after having such a wakeful period early evening last night, then waking again at 11pm and feeding on and off until midnight, our little man managed to sleep through until 5am!! he fed again only for about 10-15mins on one side and slept until just before 9am!!! Lol I thought he would last half an our with having such a small feed guess not

Just another thought, should I be putting him on both breast at each feed? As he generally does 10minutes max at a time, i tend to offer him the same breast once we have changed his nappy etc as there is still milk coming out. Sometimes I offer him the other breast and he takes it other times he wont. is this ok? will it affect my supply?

Since you have some signs of overabundant milk supply, and because your baby is 7 weeks old, I think that you're probably okay doing some one-sided feedings. Just be aware that one-sided feedings can cause your milk supply to decrease; the longer the unused side goes unused, the more your body gets the message that it needs to reduce supply in that breast. So if your baby suddenly seems unsatisfied after finishing the first breast, don't be afraid to start offering both breasts at a feeding. That will rapidly boost your supply up to where the baby needs it to be. Many moms with oversupply will start out using only one breast per feeding, but will find that they eventually need to transition to feeding on both breasts.

Thanx. What I do when he doesn't take the second breast, is start the next feed on that side. I take it that's the right thing to do, sometimes he will take it, other times not. At this time of night, like now he goes between the 2. Fingers crossed I don't have any problems with supply in the future x

I agree with the frequency, both mine were like that, my son more so than my daughter. Sometimes I felt like I barely had time to use the restroom between feedings! It passes as they get a little older.