Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How often should a 9 month old nurse?

Wink How often should a 9 month old nurse?

My DD is 9 months old and still nurses at least 8-10 times a day. I recently read a stat that said by 9-10 months anymore than 4-5 feedings a day was too much, and they should be eating actual food the rest... I have 2 sons, and both were night and day. My first son took to solids like a pro and ate and nursed like it was his last meal daily, my youngest son I finally had to semi "wean" at 15 months cause he wouldn't take anything but me. Now my DD will eat foods, we are kind of a combo puree and BLS, but it is no measurable amount more than like once a week. Since I have had two sons on opposite sides of the spectrum I don't know where she should be, I just know I would like her to be able, or at least, want to actually eat a bit of her BDay cake...lol...I don't mind her nursing, but she has got to the point unless we are home, and she is comfortable she won't eat..... literally... we have been gone 8+ hrs she refused to nurse out in public, wouldn't really eat solids, since she hasn't got the taste for them, and is overly cranky cause she is hungry...anyway any help with that situation either? Oh and no she won't take anything but water/juice from a cup, and no breastmilk except from the tap.... spoiled i know

Default Re: How often should a 9 month old nurse?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*columbakss View Post
    I recently read a stat that said by 9-10 months anymore than 4-5 feedings a day was too much, and they should be eating actual food the rest...
    Where on earth did you read that????! It's totally false. According to to the American Academy of Pediatrics, until the first birthday breastmilk is supposed to make up the "majority" of the baby's nutritional intake, with solids only "complementing" breastmilk in the baby's diet. According to my kids' pediatrician, a baby can remain well-nourished on breastmilk alone- no solids!- until around the first birthday, after which the baby may remain mostly breastfed well into the second year because the transition from needing only breastmilk to needing a lot of solids is a gradual one. At no point before the first birthday is it recommended that a mom curtail on-demand nursing, and on-demand nursing can continue as long as both mom and baby want.

So. A 9 month old baby should be nursing enough that breastmilk makes up most of her nutrition. For most babies, that means nursing at least 8 times a day, though some babies will spontaneously nurse less than that and many (maybe even most) will nurse more.

Don't worry about the birthday cake. If she wants some, she'll eat it. If not, she'll smash it and you'll get some good pictures!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I don't remember where I read it, and it shocked me as well. Since I had 2 boys I knew that they nursed more than that, but I was just making sure I wasn't missing anything. My daughter normally nurses at least 8-10 times, sometimes more, a day, and she above 95% for her age, so I know she is healthy! The only concern I have other than that, is she will not take a bottle, so I can't leave her for long periods, which I can handle just fine, but she has got to where she absolutely refuses to nurse outside of the home. At first I thought it was just being curious in public, so I would go to the quiet of like our van, but now she refuses to nurse while out at all! We have been gone 8+ hrs and she will not nurse, nor eat anything for nourishment, and become so cranky from hunger, I don't know what to do?

11/22/2006 - My Pro Athlete - Son

11/13/2008 - Mommy's Superhero - Son

03/15/2012 - What I didn't know I was missing, my baby girl

Have you tried giving her expressed milk in a straw cup? My LO (almost 8 MO) is also refusing to nurse in public, and for long stretches -up to 7 hours- in the middle of the day. I just bought him a sippy cup that has a straw instead of a spout and he loves it! He can hold it all by himself and sit up and look around while he drinks.

I have tried a handful of times with a straw, but she hasn't taken to the straw yet. She doesn't get sippy much, so there hasn't been much practice in learning to drink independently. She loves to drink water, but that only keeps her at bay for a while, and I can get her to pop in a few yogurt bites and puffs in the car, but not enough to satisfy hunger.... when we go into a resturant I am lucky to get her to eat a cracker since she is too busy looking around...lol

11/22/2006 - My Pro Athlete - Son

11/13/2008 - Mommy's Superhero - Son

03/15/2012 - What I didn't know I was missing, my baby girl