Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: My sister needs some guidance, I'm not sure what to say...

Default My sister needs some guidance, I'm not sure what to say...

She just posted the following on a FB support group:

DELETED.
    Last edited by @llli*pianosinger; December 12th, 2012 at 11:08 AM.
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Default Re: My sister needs some guidance, I'm not sure what to say.

Perhaps you could suggest that she see a LC before she resorts to formula, if fixing the latch on her own hasn't worked? http://americas.iblce.org/find-an-ibclc

I want to tell her that the only thing that she really needs to address is the gassiness/possible latch issues. That as long as her baby's output is good, she shouldn't be real concerned about exactly how much her baby is gaining. And the baby is gaining, not losing; and she's said herself before this that her baby's small size could be more genetic as her husband was also a small baby and has always been quite thin. I think the doc is just causing her to second-guess herself and get all stressed out over nothing.
    ~Sylvia~

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

AND wants her baby to gain a lb in 3weeks Which is ridiculous.

Way too lazy for formula

I would def. enlist the help of an IBCLC. Improve her latch where she can, gain confidence in her ability to feed and the health of her baby. Maybe different holding positions would help them. She won't know until she gets that extra evaluation and help.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*djs.mom View Post
    AND wants her baby to gain a lb in 3weeks Which is ridiculous.
    That would be ridiculous. Though I'm not sure if she meant the doc wants her baby to gain an additional pound to what she already weighs, or just wants her to gain a pound more than what she weighed a month and a half ago
    ~Sylvia~

Daughter of God

Did your sister request that you bring her fb post here? I hesitate to weigh in not knowing for sure if she knows her situation is being discussed here- Just checking, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Did your sister request that you bring her fb post here? I hesitate to weigh in not knowing for sure if she knows her situation is being discussed here- Just checking, thanks.
    Good point, Meg Well, I called her last night and she seems to be feeling more confident now, which is good. I'm going to edit my OP now that things are more-or-less taken care of...
    ~Sylvia~

Daughter of God

ok that is good news-

Also, I honestly don't know what the netiquette here is, I am not saying it was not OK to seek ideas for your sis here-just as a Leader I am (possibly overly) careful about giving possibly "unsolicited" input in any situation.

Neither of my sisters are moms, and my mom passed away before I had kids, so I think it's really nice that your sister has you to get support for mommy situations!