Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: In need of some major help

Default In need of some major help

My son is 10 months old and when he was holding on to the couch and walking he tipped causing him to fall and bite a hole in his tongue. After a ER tip to make sure he was ok we were sent home. Well my DS would love to nurse but it hurts to bad for him to suck. I have tried putting cold teething toys in his mouth to help with the pain so he could nurse. I don't know what to do at this point he really wants to nurse for comfort but because it hurts he starts pinching my breasts and pushing on them so I tell him no and put them away only to have him have a bigger fit. He wont even take a bottle because of the pain. Anyone have any ideas of what I could do to help him.

Default Re: In need of some major help

Oh my gosh, that sounds awful! Poor baby, and poor mama!

The one thing that occurs to me is Orajel- that stuff that you can use to numb a sore tooth or that babies can have for teeth pain. I'd call the doc and ask if that would be safe.

If your LO can't nurse, try giving him liquids in an open cup. And protect your supply by pumping if he's skipping nursing sessions due to the pinching/pushing, or if he's simply unable to trigger a letdown because his sore tongue interferes with his sucking ability.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I have been pumping to keep my supply up. He wont even suck he just puts the nipple to his mouth and the sec it touches his tongue he pulls it out and pinches the living heck out of my nipple. I have tried the open cup he wont let anything really go near his mouth. Its really breaking my heart because he wants to nurse so bad it just hurts. At wont point he just sat there with the nipple in his mouth with his mouth as far open as he could get it and looked at me like ok mommy turn them on they just leak in to my mouth.I will look in to the oral jel just hopping for some other ideas before I give him something like that but looks like it might be the only hope at this point

That sounds so sad! Can you try hand expressing the milk into his open mouth? Kind of the way my granddad used to aim a squirt of milk from the cow's teat into the cat's mouth- sorry about the barnyard analogy!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Could you maybe use the pump to get the letdown going and let it drip into his open mouth? It sounds messy, but it might work just to get a little in him.

Poor baby.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Oh wow, that sounds so sad!

I'm going through a similar, but less extreme thing because DD2 has a cold and can't nurse well. She's not in pain but just can't breathe while she's nursing. And very cranky wanting to comfort nurse.

I like mommal's suggestion about the cup - that's something to try at least. Won't help with the need to comfort nurse but at least to get some breastmilk in. Hopefully the pain will go away quickly and he can get back to nursing ASAP. Hang in there...

so sorry you (and baby) are going thru that. i don't know what to suggest re. the pain & wanting to comfort nurse. but re. getting the milk into him - what about using a syringe? you could try the little medicine dropper that comes with baby tylenol. you might be able to very gently squirt a little into the side of his mouth (so that it doesn't squirt right onto the hurt area). good luck mama, i hope he heals quickly.

poor thing!
    i would jump at some ibuprofen like now. that stuff will take away the tendency to stay inflamed, and may even help it heal faster. i bet he will feel better an hour after you give it to him. i don't normally think medicine is a great to use, but when it comes to breastfeeding, i would do anything in my power to get that kid feeling better!
    good luck!