Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Lack of eye contact while breastfeeding a 9 month old

Default Lack of eye contact while breastfeeding a 9 month old

Does anyone else have experience with their baby (mine is 9 months) not making much eye contact while breastfeeding. I think she used to more but now she really stares up or directly at my shoulder. ..even when I try to engage her. During the day when we play she makes eye contect and smiles which makes me feel a bit better but I'm concerned and wondering if she either dislikes nursing (she only eats when hungry never for comfort or enjoyment even though I offer) or if maybe this is an early sign of something like autism. Or maybe I'm just worrying overly much. I'd really appreciate any input from other mama's experiences. Thank you so much ...

Default Re: Lack of eye contact while breastfeeding a 9 month old

idk but my baby is nine months and if we make eye contact while he's nursing he gets too distracted to continue and will pop off. So maybe your baby is just trying to keep herself from getting distracted while she nurses?
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God

Does she make eye contact at other times? Is she babbling or starting to babble, does she interact with you or with other people? I think it's more important to focus on the child's overall behavior than on one particular snapshot behavior.

My kids never gave me much eye contact while nursing. They were always more interested in looking around the room, watching their own hands, or just kind of hanging out, sucking with eyes unfocused.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

yes I don't know where the idea that babies typically stare into moms eyes when nursing came from. I have heard several moms express concern when baby does not.
    I am not sure if there are any studies, but just from my personal exp. and watching moms and babies interact, I would say, Some do, some don't, some glance at mom occasionally and look away-as far as I am aware, there is no developmental issue with a baby who does not make eye contact specifically when nursing As long as they will other times. Nor would it indicate a lack of enjoyment with nursing in my opinion. but I believe in following mama instincs so I would suggest you consult your doctor if you are concerned, but I agree, it's overall behavior that you want to think about.

Now I am interested in this. I would be interested to hear other moms exp. with similar aged babies.

My experience is similar to Sylvia's. My LO is also 9 months old. Most of the time she does not look at me while nursing. She might briefly glance at me, but when she really looks at me, it usually leads to a pause in nursing - it's as if she's realizing, "Hey, mom's here!" and that distracts her. In fact, any time she looks at anything while nursing - me, her siblings, her dad, the room - it means she's getting distracted and is going to pop off.

Thanks everyone for your responses ...I guess it isn't that abnormal after all she makes plenty of eye contact at either times during the day. Oh and I started giving her a soft toy to hang on to while nursing at night and she has even giggled while breastfeeding a couple of times so that was pretty awesome!

I'm just going to throw in my story, too. My baby girl (now approaching 6 months) has NEVER looked at me when she nurses. She's super alert and very friendly in any other situation, but she just doesn't like to be distracted, I guess. When she was smaller I would try to make eye contact and she would actually "yell" at me and start crying. lol It was as if she was saying, "I'm having a private meal here!!"
    Mama to
    O - 7/10/08
    and
    J - 6/25/12

My DD is 6 months, and when she does make eye-contact, she pops off to smile or just stare. When she's intent on nursing, she stares at my boob all serious-face. When she's tired, she closes her eyes and nurses herself to sleep. Our eye-contact usually happens after the session's done.
    FTM to Emmeline Talia, June 14, 2012, , trying to (she likes the ergo and the moby), and