Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8.5 month BLS/puree questions

Default 8.5 month BLS/puree questions

We have been doing a combo of BLS and purees since 6 months. DD is now 8.5 months. We give her soft foods to gnaw on and pureed foods as well. She only gets a few spoonfuls for lunch and dinner. She gags on everything. Even food that is only slightly thicker than breastmilk! She loves to try to eat though and we don't force her but do give her a variety of foods to try. Should I back off feeding her foods right now or just let her experiment and keep gagging? She is swallowing some food (I see it in her diaper) but most of it is spit out. Also, she is breastfed and fed expressed breastmilk during the day at daycare. I haven't given her water or tried a cup. Should I?

Default Re: 8.5 month BLS/puree questions

I don't see any reason to stop letting her experiment! I tried giving my 10 month old water from a cup yesterday and she just tried to chew on the rim and then the rest dribbled down her front! She is a pro at a sippy cup though I know some people think sippies aren't good for oral health.

Default Re: 8.5 month BLS/puree questions

She's happy eating, trying new things, swallowing some? Sounds ideal for an 8 month old! I'd let her continue playing with solids, and maybe give her a sippy at mealtimes. She doesn't need the sippy, because breastmilk is still meeting all her needs for liquid, but it's another fun toy and it's good to let her learn about sippies and cups so that she can use them for real in the future. The gag reflex thing... Some babies npjust have an extra sensitive gag reflex and they need a little longer to figure out how to get things into their mouths and down into their tummies without gagging. Don't worry- it will pass in time!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"